Help! Need to know what these pipes are for

Users who are viewing this thread

GTOTURBO

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what these pipes are for in the basement so I can get wall dimensions to accommodate it. The first questionable pipe is below the level of the concrete surrounded by moist sand and round metal casing with a square lid flush to the top of the concrete. The pipe looks like 2 inches in dia with an orange cap, which is highly unlikely to be used as a main cleanout but I may be wrong. It is directly behind a main floor drain but is not directly connected to it since the orange cap is facing the main drain and is slightly sloping away. The images I will post may explain it's peculiar position. Also about 7 and 8 feet behind this opening are the drains for what I am guessing is the toilet and sink which is probably wet vented. Sorry for all the clutter in the images and I can't seem to post larger sizes since i'm limited to 39kb per image. Please help me decipher these.

Attachments

• basement pipe 1.jpg
    basement pipe 1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 369
  • basement pipe 2.jpg
    basement pipe 2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 341
  • basement pipe 3.jpg
    basement pipe 3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 315
  • basement pipe 4.jpg
    basement pipe 4.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 334

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
GTOTURBO said:
I'm trying to figure out what these pipes are for in the basement so I can get wall dimensions to accommodate it. The first questionable pipe is below the level of the concrete surrounded by moist sand and round metal casing with a square lid flush to the top of the concrete. The pipe looks like 2 inches in dia with an orange cap, which is highly unlikely to be used as a main cleanout but I may be wrong. It is directly behind a main floor drain but is not directly connected to it since the orange cap is facing the main drain and is slightly sloping away. The images I will post may explain it's peculiar position. Also about 7 and 8 feet behind this opening are the drains for what I am guessing is the toilet and sink which is probably wet vented. Sorry for all the clutter in the images and I can't seem to post larger sizes since i'm limited to 39kb per image. Please help me decipher these.

the first one looks like a provision for a shower drain
the second looks like a waste stack
the third l& fourth ooks like a sink drain in the foreground with the toilet waste in the background

EDJ

Reaction score
I agree with Winslow, this is your future basment rough-in

GTOTURBO

Reaction score
Thank you for all your help! This is a great website by Terry. Thanks again winslow and edj.

EDJ

Reaction score
You're very welcome, again when we get feedback as to whether the advice works or not, we all learn

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks