Replacing iron waste pipe with PVC ??

Users who are viewing this thread

LindyLou

Reaction score
I have a leaking joint in the waste pipe where the line in from a 1/2 bath joins a Y with the man line to the kitchen/bath. The pipe is cast iron, and completely accessible from the basement. It has a leaking joint with a large rust patch--it was wet, but when I pushed the threads with my fingernail, it started dripping.

The plumber I spoke with said he would replace the pipe with PVC, and possibly might need to replace quite a bit of pipe. The house was built in 1930 and hasn't had any plumbing work other than a dishwasher addition/ kitchen sink replacement, faucet washers and toilet valves. The house is well built with high quality materials, and we are more concerned with quality work and a permanent solution and less with budget. Is some future buyer going to look favorably on a section of PVC waste pipe? Or, should we look for a plumber willing to replumb with cast iron?

Any comments?

Finnegan

Reaction score
I doubt anyone will have a problem with pvc. Cast iron is great for reducing noise, but if you are replacing basement waste pipes, there is no reason not to use pvc.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I'm a fan of cast iron, but it's not cost effective for noise reduction when its not your 'dream house.' Old houses typically have PVC patched in here or there and it's no big deal.

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks