Break up concrete floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

kirk.siegwarth

Reaction score
I'm working with a contractor on a basement remodel. There was an existing bath (toilet and sink) that was demolished. My contractor brought in an unlicensed plumber who seems to have done a sloppy job roughing in a shower, toilet and sink with all new PVC drain lines tying into existing cast iron drains under the concrete slab. In the meantime, the concrete slab has been repaired and no county inspection has been performed.

I'm concerned about the quality of the drain work and after much unhappiness on my part my contractor has agreed to have the work inspected by the county and to hire a licensed plumber to do any additional work.

My question is: should I insist on having the concrete floor torn up to expose the drains, or would a pressure/leak test suffice at this point?

Thanks for any help.

Prashster

Reaction score
Plumbing jobs require a rough and a final inspection. A rough inspection has to have the floor open. The inspector will want to see (at least) the slope of the pipes, the types of fittings used, and how to connections are made.

Even if he let you get away with a pressure test after you've backfilled, it will be almost impossible to quickly detect anything but a major leak.

That being said, here's what I would do:

Call the township inspector and schedule a rough inspection. If you haven't filed a permit you'll have to do that first. Explain to him your situation and urge him to be critically honest and not to do you any favors. Insist that yr original plumber is present for the inspection.

You will need the rough inspection to pass b4 any licensed plumber would put his name on the completion. If the inspector insists on breaking the concrete, get a licensed plumber to do the work from scratch.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have been given good advise. I'd even suggest going a step further and telling the inspector that the work was done by an unlicensed individual and that you suspect poor/improper workmanship and would welcome an order to open the concrete and inspect it properly. I think that even if the work turns out to be OK, the contractor is on the hook for the cost of cutting and repairing the concrete since he didn't have it done with a permit. Note: I'm not an attorney, so any "legal" advise I have is anything but official!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks