Help how to use a snake

Users who are viewing this thread

mollycunneen

Reaction score
Help Help, the toilet is stopped up. :eek: I tried a ball plunger, to no avail. I now rented a snake, read many on-line instructions. I can not get the snake to go more than 3 inches into the hole of the toilet. I crank, one way then the next, push and turn the end around with all my might. Nada! I can keep the snake for 20 more hours before paying another $25. Does anyone have any ideas?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Is this a toiler auger which has a crook on the end? This little bend gets the tip of the auger pointed into the trapway. The you push on the handle while turning, and it works its way in. If you have a conventional hand auger in a can, you will have a hard time putting it thru the toilet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
snake

Which way does the opening in the bottom of the toilet face? If it turns towards the front, you will proabably never get the snake through it. If it goes towards the rear, and you have the proper snake, it should slide right in. If you have a sink drain snake, the only thing you will do is damage the finish in the bottom of the toilet.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Since you rented it I will assume you have the wrong snake as I don't think rental stores rent toilet augers. You can buy one from a big box store fairly inexpensively. If you cant get the auger through call a plumber.

Prashster

Reaction score
Gotta feed it bit by bit. Pull out about 1ft fm snake coil. Crank and push at same time. Pull out another 1ft from coil. Repeat.

sendec

Reaction score
I have had the best results with the aforementioned toilet augers. I'm sure I paid less than 10 bucks for it at the local hardware store. Real lifesaver.

Now if someone could make one with some form of rust-free finish.......

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
snake

Gotta feed it bit by bit. Pull out about 1ft fm snake coil. Crank and push at same time. Pull out another 1ft from coil. Repeat.

You must also not have ever snaked a toilet. That is a guaranteed way to scratch the finish in the bottom of the toilet, besides not curing the problem.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
My 2 cents worth is to put a bend right behind the hook. The flopping action will help to make a quick turn in the right direction.

Also don't lean on the handle. Just nice steady pressure and turn it to the right 3 or 4 turns and then the other way, back and forth, and it will make its way through.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks