Bathroom sink repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

nlemberger

Reaction score
I'm trying to repair a leaky drain on an old bathroom sink. Just replacing the trap would've been easy but the leak is occuring in the trap arm (between the wall an the j-bend).

I'm not sure how to go about removing and replacing this piece in this situation as I've never seen a connection quite like this before - this plumbing is rather old.

Comming out of the Tee in the wall, there appears to be a 1.75" or 2" outer diameter threaded nipple (it's difficult to measure precisely) with an inner diameter of just about 1.25". Out of this is a bushing which looks like it's soldered (either sweated or lead - I can't tell) directly to the trap arm. The bushing is rusted tight at this point, as is the nipple I'm sure.

If anyone has a recommendation on a penetrating oil that might help me muscle out this bushing, I'd appreciated it. Also, once I get it out, where do I go from there. All the things I see in stores require a slip-joint style connection. I'd prefer this job to be fairly simple as this bathroom will be gone in 18 months anyway.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't think penetrating oil will do anything.

Look at it again.

You may have a 11/2" galv. nipple coming through the wall and there probably is a brass fitting called a 11/2" x 11/4" "marvel" connection with a 11/4" chromed (white metal) jam nut with a slip washer inside.

A lot of plumbers used them at one time.

If that's what it turns out to be, go get a trap, an extra nut and a couple slip washers and put it back together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks