Noisy Hot Water Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Tick'd Off

Reaction score
Have a plastic hot water line (assuming cpvc since subdivision/home was constructed by reputable builder) that runs from the hot water heater on one side of the house up through the attic and non-attic ceiling areas to the other side of the house to the kitchen. When the kitchen faucet is initially turned on or when the dishwasher is filling for the first cycle, the pipe in the walls/ceiling makes a rapid "tick, tick, tick" noise. The ticking slows down when the water is turned off and gradually disappears.

I am assuming this has something to do with the pipe expanding when the hot water first starts flowing through the pipe, since the noise goes away after the faucet has been run a while.

The plumber yesterday thought it was because the pipe was not secured firmly enough along its route. His remedy did not work because this morning it was ticking as loud as ever. We couldn't yesterday because we ran the water a long time testing it and it twas 105 degrees outside.

Anyone have any thoughts on the solution -- is the piping not secured enough or secured too tightly, or is there some other cause.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Plastic expands and contracts with temperature change, nothing you can do about it. What you can do is make sure that it is not going through holes that are too small or rubbing on something. Tightening the clamps will only make it worse, as you found.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is going to move. It should be quieter if you have access to put a little grease on it where it rubs the wood.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Definately sounds like pipe rubing on wood while heating and expanding.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I've got the same problem, and I know exactly where it's coming from. I like Bob's grease idea -- any kind of grease I should avoid that might damage the CPVC?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
CPVC Compatibility

http://www.corzancpvc.com/featuresBenefits/ChemicalResistanceTable/ChemicalFrameset.htm

The list says things like cottonseed oil and palm oil are not compatible, so I would avoid Crisco or vegetable shortenings.

Silicone oil is OK so silicone grease should be OK.

Motor oil and mineral oil are listed as OK so the stuff that comes out of your grease gun should be OK.

Soaps are compatible.

Glycerine is OK so you can use any KY Jelly that you no longer need.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
>>KY Jelly that you no longer need<<

Is that what "Senior Member" really means?

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
On that note, maybe you could use some whipped cream for those junior members :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks