What's this for??

Users who are viewing this thread

kari99

Reaction score
Hi from Maryland. I just had the sewer line (from the front of the house to the street) replaced at my home. I was at work when it was replaced, so I didn't see it until it was all done. When I got home I saw that a chunk of the pipe (a cap or trap?) was sticking out of the ground a few inches, right near the street. Is it supposed to be sticking out like that. Why is this? The old pipe didn't have a cap coming out of ground. I haven't spoken with plumbing company yet, so I haven't been able to ask them. It just seems odd. I can just see myself tripping over it or running into with the lawn mower. Any insight you can give me would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• sewerline2.jpg
    sewerline2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 407

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
That is a clean out. It is where a snake can be placed into the line to unclog it should that become necessary.

kari99

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That takes care of the "what", but I'm still trying to figure out the "why." Why is it above ground? I'm pretty sure that the original pipe had a clean out and it was buried. And it's not like it's above ground in a inconspicuous place like a flower bed, it's out in the front part of my yard.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is sticking out of the ground because they didn't want to spend 5 minutes to put it flush. Also, they didn't bother to get a cleanout plug with a recessed square so it won't get whacked with the lawn mower. They make brass plugs with a recess.

kari99

Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I'll have to get them back out to my house to fix it. It looks like it would be a super-simple and quick job to shorten it. Maybe I could just do it myself.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cleanout

It is sticking out, because when we put them flush, the homeowners or landscapers seem to hate them and try to bury them. Once they are covered, in many cases it is almost impossible to locate where they should be and locating them can be time consuming, (read "expensive"). And even with a flush plug the lawnmower can hit them and break a hole or knock the top off. The least expensive sewers to unplug are usually those with the cleanouts sticking out of the ground.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There are fake rocks that can be purchased to cover them that look real and are a nice way to hide them yet keep them handy incase you need access.

Prashster

Reaction score
A random 'rock' in the middle of the yard might look cheesy.

I'd take a picture of where the clean out is, document it, and then bury it.
Otherwise, unless you mow yr own grass, there's a high likelihood a Dixie Chopper will shred the cap and you'll have to replace it several times anyway.

This has happened to me.

I wish someone would invent an RF signaling device that would be attached to a pipe prior to burial to make it easier to locate. Actually, forget the pipes, gimme one of those bad boys for golf balls!

kari99

Reaction score
Thanks. It crossed my mind to make that section of the lawn into a little landscape feature with rocks, plants etc. to hide the thing. But I think I still might want to go the "bury it" route. Thanks again for the replies.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
RF locating of pipes

I've seen wires buried along with plastic pipe, which I always assumed was a locating aid of some kind. Can't remember the purpose of the pipe being buried -- irrigation or whatever.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
prashster said:
I wish someone would invent an RF signaling device that would be attached to a pipe prior to burial to make it easier to locate. Actually, forget the pipes, gimme one of those bad boys for golf balls!

Check out www.radargolf.com

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cleanout

If you are determined to bury it, you can be sure it will be "lost" when you need it unless you chisel the location in a nearby sidewalk, or use a brass plug that can be located with a metal detector.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks