Toto running when used

Users who are viewing this thread

edselpdx

Reaction score
I have a Toto Carlyle (essentially a skirted ultramax), installed last winter. I love it (retired my plunger to the basement and haven't had to retrieve it in 6 months). It has an odd issue that's not a huge deal, but mystifies me.... When a "deposit" is made in the toilet (even pouring a cup of water in), the toilet briefly runs as if it's equalizing the fluid level somehow.

It never runs in between and performance is exceptional, but it's odd to be sitting there and have the toilet run briefly in response to...well you get the picture. The toilet is stable, and this occurs even in response to a glass of water poured in so it's not like it's rocking a bit or anything. It is level in all directions. It has done this since installation.

Thanks for any responses and fixes that can be recommended. I tried looking around the forum and didn't see this addressed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You answered your own question...when refilling, the bowl is actually overfilled...whatever it can't hold goes over the trap and down the drain. So, after, when you add something, it becomes overfilled again, and some water goes over the ledge so to speak. This is totally normal. It is a little more audible because of the plastic unifit adapter vs the hard, dense porcelain of a "normal" toilet. They all do it, it's just you can hear it a little easier on that model (btw, I've got one and a Vespin and they both do it, too).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's normal with the plastic traps.

The same thing happens with the porcelain traps, they're just quieter about it.

A little bit of water will tend to pull itself over the "dam" of the trapway and empty out down the trapway, taking a little bit of time doing it.

edselpdx

Reaction score
Thanks

As long as it's normal... as I said, it clearly hasn't really bothered me much since I haven't dealt with it in 6 months. I'm just glad to have retired the plunger. I had actually resigned myself to the fact that the plumbing in my old 1928 house wasn't up to a toilet prior to this replacement given the daily plunging of the Big Orange no-name that was here before (previous owner, not me). Couldn't be happier with this Toto. Cleaning is amazingly easy (I love Sanigloss, much less scrubbing for basic maintenance and no brown streaks from water stains) and the skirt keeps me from having that nasty dust/gunk on the base to clean. I did much research prior to purchase including this site, although I never posted since lurking and reading gave me the info I needed. I DID have them put in a GFCI next to it *just in case* I decide that I need a Washlet in the future...just let me pay the remodel off first....
Sonya

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks