recommendation for wall hung "closet carrier"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Royboy

Reaction score
I am looking at the possibility of installing a wall hung toilet to deal with a mislocated toilet flange in a radiantly heated slab. I would need to discharge the drain horizontally (to the left) once inside the wall cavity and don't need to vent right at the carrier as there is a 3" PVC stack a couple feet to the left in the wall.

2 questions:

1) any recommendation of makes of carriers? critera include horizontal discharge, minimal wall depth, relatively low price :)

2) what wall depth am I likely to need?

thanks - Roy

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Carriers are not cheap. Go to a large plumbing supply house and see what they carry in stock. If they don't stock what you need, they have the catalog and can order the right thing.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check out the price for the toilet/carrier combination. I don't know of such as thing as a "relatively low price" wall hung toilet unless you are comparing it to one of those fancy things that automatically wash and dry you after you have finished.

Joerg

Reaction score
Hello Bob,

Zurn makes a whole lot of carriers:

http://www.zurn.com/pages/catalog.asp?ProductGroupID=80&ProductName=Z1212#p2159

Wall hung is definitely not cheap. We had that situation and changing to a floor mount. Usually wall mount toilets are north of $400 and carriers can set you back a few hundred as well. Our walls are all 8", maybe 6" can suffice but I wouldn't know. Anyhow, there is a whole lot of load on that carrier and the wood members in the wall. The old wall mount I took out had a piece of wood underneath by the former owners because the thing began to sag. I was very surprised that it didn't leak. It's outta here.

Regards, Joerg.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Wall hung

Unless you set the toilet seat rather high, you are still going to have to break some concrete because the connection for a standard height toilet carrier is beneath the floor.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
geberit wall carrier cost about $375
use a carrier system designed for residential. you will need a 6 in wall. the toilet will cost about another $200. It can all be roughed in above slab if you have a 3" drain available.

Royboy

Reaction score
thanks for all the thoughts, guys

I will be talking with my wholesalers tomorrow morning and see what they have or can get.

the homeowner is not happy with the current location of the toilet flange and so it appears that it's either a wall-hung or busting into a slab with radiant tubing and creating another drain exiting the building and tying together outside with the main drain line. the latter was his idea and the wall hung is mine. I think the plumbing will tie OK to the main vent stack in the wall, a couple feet down, that served the original toilet location. and, conveniently, he is a very tall guy and is mounting all the fixtures way beyond what I'd recommend (the lav is at 42" and the original toilet was planned to be an ADA model for extra height).

so we shall see ...

interestingly, my thought on this was spurred by just dealing with my first wall hung on another job, replacing an existing high-volume flush with a Crane Rexroth (which I have since learned from posts here is maybe not a great model, but there it is). so it don't ran but it pours.

thanks - Roy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks