Water hammer-Clunk

Users who are viewing this thread

snowbird0103

Reaction score
I have a toilet in the Master bath that has a clunk(pipe rattle) after the tank is full and shuts off :confused: . It has a flowmaster 400a and I cleaned it to be sure there was no restriction. The inlet valve is open all the way. If I partially close the inlet there is no clunk but there is water hammering. The toilet 19 years old.
Will I have to cut a hole in the wall behind the inlet pipe and secure the pipe better? Or do I need to replace the inlet valve?
Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

lmoyer

Reaction score
I have had the same problem and found the fix to be replacing the fluidmaster value in the tank with a Korky value fix the problem. They do not cause water hammer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
clunk

Go to HD and buy a Fluidmaster replacement cap and snap it on in place of your old one. But first observe your Fluidmaster when the clunk occurs. If the upper portion "jumps up" when it clunks then you need a new valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks