Broken pipe on tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

TMO

Reaction score
Hello - I was replacing the tub-shower spout and accidentally snapped the copper pipe, there is still about an inch sticking out from the wall, but I am unable to thread the plastic piece all the way on the copper pipe for the new spout.

Is there any way to solder with a coupling that fits inside the broken piece? If I use a regular coupling as that keeps the edge of the spout about and inch or so out from the shower wall.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without a picture, I'm not sure what you have. If the fitting is copper, can you see the other end? If so, you could probably unsolder that one and install a new one. Then you could thread the new spout on it normally. If you have a digital camera, take a shot of it. Crop it down so it is not that big and only shows the necessary parts so you meet the max size limits of this site and post it in a reply.

TMO

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately I do not have a digital camera. The pipe is copper and 1/2 inch and the hole is just a little larger (about 3/4 - 1 inch).

I had some scrap 1/2 copper pipe that I cut to the size of the broken piece, when I used a regular coupling the spout sticks out over an inch from the tub wall. I was hoping that there was a coupling that would fit inside the pipe rather than out??

I can see that the piece goes in about another 2 inches and then gets wider as it connects from the faucet supply (one-handle).

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Nose Spout

I am not aware of an interior coupling. You would need to replace the copper stub out from the 90 in the wall out, for your slip spout. You could use a spout with female threads at it's outlet referred to as a nose spout. Then you could use your coupling, piece of pipe and a copper to male thread adapter.

TMO

Reaction score
Thank you! I realized that I can use a coupling and a piece of 1/2 pipe and a male adapter as you wrote. This will replace the plastic piece and screw directly into the spout.

Thanks for your help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks