Do I have a leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

phughes200

Engineer
Reaction score
I opened up a wall up today and exposed the cast iron waste line. At the joint of two sections, it appears discolored both above and below the union. The area was slightly gummy. When misted with water, the water beads up on the dark stain. If I mist the lightly rusted area the water is absorbed. I assume it would be a leak if it was discolored below but above? Is this a leak that needs to be fixed?

The pipes are 40 years old. the section of the pipe above the cement floor has the typical rust for two inches above the floor before the discoloration starts. The cement floor is unstained and appears to never have been wet.

Thanks,

Philip

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 233
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 229
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
c. i.

I don't see anything other than the cast iron soil pipe has a rusty surface.
It's cast iron pipe with the tared coating gone and so I think it's just surface rust.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks