Flush Valve Seal Replacement - Am. Std. Champion

Users who are viewing this thread

Optiker

Reaction score
Bad-Good-Seal.jpg

https://terrylove.com/wwwboard/messages2/42893.html

A couple of years ago we replaced our toilet that was having trouble flushing with an American Standard Champion and have been very pleased with it. Recently, it started leaking at the flush valve seal. When I went back to my dealer to buy a new valve, he said that this was a known problem and that I didn't need a new valve, just a new seal - free! He went through how to change it, but by the time I got around to doing it, somehow, I couldn't figure out how to get the large diameter outer tube that the seal is on, off so I could replace the seal.

Can anybody walk me through details of getting it off? Of course, I can handle getting the hook off the handle lever but when I lift the large outer tube up, and the inner tube that the chain is connected to up, I can look down inside, and don't see an obvious way of removing it. I didn't want to risk breaking it, so thought it best to get some advice.

Help please!

Thanks!
Optiker

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have recently done two of them.

Don't try to remove the whole flipping mechanism. You want to remove only the seal.

Sometimes they just pull off a little ball on the end of the little flipping bucket. Sometimes they are screwed on.

On the first one, I had to carve the seal away from little ball with a sharp jack knife. Be careful because you are working nearly blind. It helps to examine it closely first so you know what you are feeling. The second one I was able to just pull off. If it screws off a stud, you may have to get a pair of pliers to unscrew the little nut after you cut the seal off.

On mine, the new on just pressed onto the little ball end.

Optiker

Reaction score
Bob...

Sorry...nothing you've said sounds like what I'm looking at. "Little ball on the end of the little flipping bucket"? Are you sure you're talking about the American Standard Champion toilet? It's flush mechanism is entirely different than the typical flush mechanism. Guess that unless I hear from somebody else with something that sounds like a better fit, I'll have to post a picture.

Thanks anyhow!
Optiker

Optiker

Reaction score
Terry...

Thank you for adding the pictures and for the link to the comments. Looks like most folks hate it. However, I don't care about the noise when the alternative is multiple flushes and plunger too often. I'm on a well and septic tank, so the amount of water down the drain is not a huge issue, but I'd rather not waste it if I can fix it. I've recommended it to several friends, but haven't had any feedback, so am guessing they didn't take my suggestion.

However, all that said...

HOW DO I REPLACE THAT SEAL? :confused:

Sorry for the shouting, but even with the several replies, nobody has told me how to replace it. With all of the folks who have done it, surely somebody out there can spend a few minutes t tell me how? Did I miss a post ammong those in the linked comments that actually described how to change it?

Thanks!
Optiker

champion-4-flush-valve-1.jpg

The new flush valve that the Champion 4 gets.
picture added 11/15/2019

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks