Cast iron compression fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

bikerider58

Reaction score
Hello all,

Rob is the name and I need some help finding some parts. I'm doing a bathroom remodel and pulled the old 2 inch drain pipes from the cast iron fitting (sink drain pipe was badly scaled inside, shower drain pipe was loose in the fitting).

How do I install a new steel nipple into the cast iron pipe without packing oakhum and melting lead? No, I don't want to cut the cast pipes to use a hubless rubber band since this would require a larger section being replaced. The cast iron fitting is in good shape.

I've read in various threads about a rubber compression ring, but haven't seen one. The folks at a local plumbing supply hadn't heard of it, but they did have some oakhum and lead.

If you know a source for the needed parts, please post their contact information.

Thanks,
Rob

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I don't think they make the donut in 2". They do have a "liquid lead" in a can that takes the place of hot lead. It is a plastic compound. Not sure who makes it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
donut

They do make one, but making one, and finding one locally can be two different things. If no one ever uses one, then local companies have no need to stock them.

bikerider58

Reaction score
Cast iron compression fitting -- Ace is the place....

Thanks for the replies and link.

I'll check out the local Ace hardware store for the ring.

I certainly understand why they won't stock it if no one buys it. The common practice is to cut out older sections and piece in with the hubless bands. Not that this is bad, but if in a visible space looks terrible. Of course, I'm not doing the typical hot mop with the new shower either.

If I can't get the ring, I'll look for the liquid lead stuff. I was thinking that if I couldn't find the rubber ring that I would try packing oakhum and using Bondo to seal it. :rolleyes:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
bikerider58 said:
If I can't get the ring, I'll look for the liquid lead stuff. I was thinking that if I couldn't find the rubber ring that I would try packing oakhum and using Bondo to seal it. :rolleyes:

Oh boy.... :rolleyes: Don't forget the duct tape on top of the Bondo! :p

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks