Do we need a new toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

fdenzer

Reaction score
Greetings to all! I am so delighted to have found this wonderful website - perhaps someone can assist me with a problem.

My mom and I live in a large co-op apartment building and we have periodic problems with toilet clogging (maybe once a month or every two months). I always try to plunge, but I seldom succeed (though I see from reading an article elsewhere on this web site that my technique needs improvement!). Usually we have to wait for the super, who always manages to clear it easily, but it's a big problem when it happens after hours and we have to wait until morning.

We are sick of this problem and we wonder if it can be solved with a better toilet. Or could the problem be with the plumbing in the walls? Is there any way to tell? We don't want to waste money on a new toilet if that will not solve the problem. We would like to be able to flush a lot of paper without multiple flushes (and - forgive me, this is embarassing and ickey, but it's a fact of life for us - we need to be able to accommodate large stool volume).

If we do get a new toilet, it will probably be the Toto Ultramax, since that seems to have the best reviews on this website, especially with relation to clogging. However, we have one additional requirement: we need a handle that is easy to operate and does not require a hard push, since my mother has arthritis.

Thank you.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
too much

Make sure that the water level in the toilet tank and bowl have enough water.

The problem you folks have is fairly rare, but I would not guarantee that any new toilet that you buy won't have the same shortcomings.

Did this problem exist at other places and other toilets?

Too much paper will choke any toilet.

Give some thought to these ideas.

Some people have large pasty clay like stools and I know that's what your saying.

Not an expert on health conditions, but have seen the problem many times over many years and it occurs with some children reaching puberty.

I've also noted that people with health issues and or on medications are affected this way.

I can also guess that ones diet could also contribute to condition.

All this is what my experience tells me.

Ask your doctor for suggestions, might be a place to start.

Another suggestion: A customer a long time ago kept a stick by her toilet an when her grandson came to visit, she had him break up his stool so as not plug the toilet.

Spokaneman

Reaction score
While I am not a pro, I do know from experience that first generation or cheap low flow toilets are just invitations to clogging. I had a first generation Kohler low flow, and it plugged twice or three times a week. I finally replaced it with a Toto four months ago and haven't had a hint of a clog since.

As Larry the Cable Guy says "Git 'er done".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks