Replacing valve question

Users who are viewing this thread

CityKid

Reaction score
I plan on replacing all the valves in my house with ball valves. A project to last quite a while, no rush. My question is do you/would you cut the pipe or just heat up the pipe to soften the solder and remove the old valves. Clean up the pipes and replace with new, better valves.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
citykid said:
I plan on replacing all the valves in my house with ball valves. A project to last quite a while, no rush. My question is do you/would you cut the pipe or just heat up the pipe to soften the solder and remove the old valves. Clean up the pipes and replace with new, better valves.

The ball valves are usually going to be longer than the old valves, you may not have enough movement to pull the copper out of the old valves, and you will probably have some water in the lines, so you might as well cut the pipe.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have the old style angle valves you can unscrew the nut under the handle and remove it and drain the water out.

Then you could unsweat the old valves and sweat on the new valves on.

You could at least try and if it didn't work then cut the pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vlves

If you are referring to the valves under the sinks and toilets, then unsweat the valve, use a rag to wipe the hot solder smooth and then install compression style valves. I haven't even seen a sweat fixture valve in over 20 years, around this area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks