Upgrading a Shower Stall

Users who are viewing this thread

Cynthia Love

Reaction score
Our house was built in the late 1980's when that horrible color "Country Blue" was very fashionable. We are stuck with a bathroom tiled almost entirely in "Country Blue" including the shower stall. My husband and I are puzzling our brains what to do to modernise without having to strip off all the old tiles.

Is it possible to install some sort of liner in the shower stall over the tiles? We have heard it is possible to tile over tiles or to repaint them, what do you think of these ideas? Are they satisfactory?

We thought we would carpet over the floor tiles to take care of them, but we have a huge family sized whirlpool with tiled steps up to it and surrounding it which we thought we would paint. Will the paint make the steps slippy?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give us.

Cynth.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hj

A glue in liner for the shower will look like just what it is, a cheap shower liner. Painting the tiles is probably not a long term solution unless you use an epoxy paint or something similar that will bond to the tile's glazed surface. A swimming pool paint may work for the tub, but be sure you use something that will withstand being submerged in water, (unless your tub is like the majority of them that do not get used).

John Bridge

Mudmeister
Reaction score
Website
johnbridge.com
Hi Cynth, :)

There is really nothing that will do what you want it to do. The solution is to tear out the old tiles and start from scratch. It IS possible to tile over the floor tiles.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In my most humble opinion, putting ANYTHING ( liner, paint, whatever) over a tub or tile surface is a BAAAAD idea. Period. Learn to live with the color, or tear it out and redo. Others may disagree.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks