New sump pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

ddeslaur

Reaction score
My widower mom is in need of two new sump pumps. She has a main and a battery back-up that have both burnt out due to running continuoulsy. She insists on the back-up as the house has been prone to power outages during storms. The PVC coming out of the existing sump is 1.5" that converts to 2", before check valve, on the way up and out of the basement. First question..is that transition acceptable? Second question is what brand of pump is recommended and what size. Her house is about 2000 sf with 2 baths. The rise is about 10 feet from the sump to where the PVC exits basement and begins horizontal/sloped output.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
How come the battery backup pump runs continuously?

Sounds like the main pump may be undersized for your situation. Tell us more.

I might recommend having 2 main pumps installed, which you alternate on a weekly or monthly basis to give them some rest. You could also set it up as a primary and secondary, where one pump does most of the work, but when it can't keep up (water gets deeper) the second on kicks in.

ddeslaur

Reaction score
I'm not sure...don't live with her just going on what she noticed and conveyed...my interpretation was that main pump slowed down and eventually went out, backup was then continually kicking on acting as the main pump and that eventually went out as well.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you can find a do-it-yourself electrical friend, you can set up an automatic alternating relay for about $100 for parts (or you can buy one for about $500, plus another $500 for installation, which is probably not worth the trouble).

The alternating relay would alternate pumps with each cycle, and operate both when needed to keep up. It would automatically operate one if the other failed.

You could have the battery powered backup operate only if there is a power failure.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I'll bet the main pump burnt out and the back up kept running due to lower volume output and she just thinks both are running.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Battery Backup Pumps

Look at this web page and see what you should do

the best and the worst are there it does not matter how
big or small a house you have

go big or stay home....

simply buy the best and dont putz around

http://weilhammerplumbing.com/sumppumps/

the best set up availible is there for you to see

check out the pics of a typycal dual system I recently installed

if you got two inch pipe you are in good shape...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks