Need Laundry Faucet Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
I have a laundry faucet arrangement pictured below. It's a combination faucet and valves for the washing machine. The hot water portion of the faucet makes a moaning sound when it is turned on. The sound stays on for low water flow but disappears at high flow levels. I can try to fix it, but thought that perhaps it is time to modernize this set-up. I like the idea of something like a dual quarter turn lever faucet for the washer - Watts makes one model 2-M2. The problem is that this unit is geared to strictly a washing machine and I've been unable to find anything that would also give me a regular faucet capability. Anybody have any modern product suggestions in this area.

Thank you,

Jerry

Attachments

• Laundry Faucet.jpg
    Laundry Faucet.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,270

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to replace the washer on the stem. Do both sides at the same time.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
thats a beauty

that is a messy one, and its pretty rigged up

your best bet is to start back at the copper male adapters
and go from there....

put yourself a couple of 1/2 galvanized tees in first with boiler drain type faucets for your laundry ,

then from out of the end of these tees you just get creative from there for your laundry tub...

they make all sorts of old style faucets that would somehow work...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

It was not "rigged up". It was a common setup using the Price Pfister in line hose valves, which are probably still available. A GALVANIZED tee? How about a brass one with a brass nipple into any of several 8" wall mount faucets that would be available, if the hose thread on the end was not needed, (and it is illegal if it is there).

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Rigged, indeed

I'm in the final throes of remodeling a laundry room that was similarly rigged for tub, washing machine, and icemaker in the adjoining kitchen, with an eclectic array of adapters, couplings, valves, and stops. I wound up ripping the wall apart and plumbing in separate lines for everything behind the finished wall, and was able to use the recessed 1/4-turn valve and drain combo thingy, and ultimately make things look pretty. Also recovered about 3" behind the washing machine so it could be moved back, gaining space in the smallish laundry room. It looks like from your picture you don't have an already-finished wall to contend with, so I'd recommend doing it right, the way you want it. It's either that, or replace the washers :) .

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have seen lots of these in apartment laundry rooms. You can still get necessary parts. I do not know if someone makes an updated version of the whole faucet.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Rig

That is a rig! You want to up-grade, very simple. Cut the mess out, add two tees to your copper tube, pipe a single lever wash machine valve from the center of the tees to where you want it, out of the end of the tees elbow down to where you are under laundry tray, add two compression valves, get a faucet that mounts to the deck of the laundry tray, get two flex lines and hook it up, that should do it. FYI, I would not use galv. unless I had no choice. Lots of luck.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
master plumber mark said:
that is a messy one, and its pretty rigged up

your best bet is to start back at the copper male adapters
and go from there....

put yourself a couple of 1/2 galvanized tees in first with boiler drain type faucets for your laundry ,

then from out of the end of these tees you just get creative from there for your laundry tub...

they make all sorts of old style faucets that would somehow work...

You pretty much said it all in your post, your idea of galvanized tees are pretty creative, old style, messy and rigged up! :p

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
whatever works

I have never seen that valve before in these parts....

and it does not loook too pretty to me.....

it would seem easier just to do it all over,

wether with galvanized tees

or brass ones, both will last about 3-4 decades....

what you install after the laundry hook up is your choice

but their is somethingout there that will suffice....

If you can find that identicle valve ---good for you..

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
I would like to thank all of you for your advice. I replaced the washers in the faucet, so the moaning sound is gone. I'll remove the boiler valves and move the faucet back to the male adapters. For the washing machine I'll run additional copper lines to a Watts 2M-2 dual quarter turn lever faucet and relocate that above the washing machine. The valve/faucet arrangement in the picture I've included in the original thread is actually not uncommon for this area. I've seen this in many houses. In fact my brother and mother have similar set-up in their homes. So I guess it's a geographic "phenomenon".

Thanks again,

Jerry

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Here is the final product. Seems to have worked out well. I also added two ball valves to isolate this portion of the plumbing from the rest of the house.

Attachments

• Sink-Washing Machine.jpg
    Sink-Washing Machine.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 657

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Very nice...

Looks like you could fur out the wall in the future and drywall it to make it REALLY fancy.

When I replumbed overhead, I put a ball valve in every fixture branch, so I was able to test and charge the manifolds independent of the branches, and add the branches as time and need dictated. Worked out well for me, and allows work on any branch without shutting off any other.

Last edited:

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
I did the same. Every fixture branch in my house has a ball valve now. Makes things a lot easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks