Is this a gas shutoff valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lithnights

Reaction score
I am replacing my gas hot water heater. There does not seem to be a gas shut off valve between the gas line coming into the house and the actual water heater itself.

I am attaching a picture of what appears to be some sort of shut off valve. Is it?

If not, how would one replace the heater? What are my options here? I don't want to mess with the gas company since the heater actually burst this morning and I need to get it replaced today.

Thanks,

Attachments

• DSCN2867 forum.jpg
    DSCN2867 forum.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,041
Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The picture you posted appears to be a gas valve, but without seeing the rest of the setup, or the piping layout, I cannot advise you to turn this off. I would recommend you get a plumber or the gas co. out to help you with this. The gas co. will probably come out for free. Once you learn what it is and how your system is connected, then you will feel comfortable in the future if you need to work on it.

Lithnights

Reaction score
I lit the pilot light, turned what appeared to be the gas shut off, and indeed the pilot light went out. This confirms our thought that is indeed a gas shut off.

I just had never seen one like this.. it's probably original with the 40 year old house.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
A lever handled, AGA and/or CSA approved gas valve is required.

End-user/appliance shut-off valves which rely on tools for their actuation are forbidden.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
license

I have NEVER been asked to see my license, other than by a couple of inspectors, in the past 55+ years. In fact in twenty years in Chicago, I was never asked for my union card either.

Lithnights

Reaction score
hj said:
IT is a plug cock gas valve. They are not longer permitted and should be replaced with an approved one.

OK I can see why. But I am used to working with copper but not black steel. Thus, how do you make a break in the steel line to put in a new valve?

I know threaded pieces are used along with screw on unions and screw on elbows, and thus I'm not sure how it would be done if you cut into the pipe and are left with a bare end (no threads).

I don't plan on doing this right away, but I'd like to know for the future.

Thanks,

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
valve

There should be a union on the fixture side of the gas valve.

So you just undo the piping from the union back to the valve.....

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Those gas valves have a tendency to leak when disturbed. There is a packing gland inside of them that the old time plumbers would repack. The advice on the replacement of the valve is definitely in order.

Any gas valve that cannot be shut off by the average person is not legal. Those blade type gas valves with a hole in the center of them to allow a screwdriver to turn the blade or a crescent wrench will not qualify as a proper valve.

The 1/4 turn handle valves are the way to go. Any valve that states WOG on the side of it can qualify as well in the 1/4 turn valves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks