repalcing old galv. pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

rvt2096

Reaction score
I have a small leak in an old 1/2 galv. pipe under my house. The run is 10 feet long and of course the leak is in the middle. The pipe is screwed on a 3 way galv. fitting on both ends....the space is pretty tight (crawl space)..my question is how do I replace this with a new copper pipe and also connect it to the 3 ways....?

Thanks,

Rick

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, this is not from experience, but from a technical viewpoint (there may be an easier way). Hacksaw out a section in the middle, then unscrew each end (you probably will need two wrenches to hold the fitting from moving around too much while you take out the old pipe). If what's left has a little movement to it, use a dielectric union on each end with a new copper piece inbetween. If those ends don't have any play so you can insert the pipe into the fittings, then it gets messier. Then you'd need a repair coupling to connect the two pieces of copper. A repair coupling doesn't have a stop in the middle, so you can slide it entirely over the pipe, meaning that you won't need to spread things apart to insert it into the pipe; just slide it over one end, get the other side lined up (after cleaning both the fitting and the ends), and slide the fitting so it is centered on the joint and solder it up.

Now, note that when unscrewing the old pipe, you might just create other leaks and this may be a good time to replace those pipes/fittings as well. It is only a matter of time...

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Aside from re-piping I would just cut that piece out and get a new piece the same length including a nipple and a union. For only 10 ft.. Keep it iron pipe.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A repair to the old line will buy you some time, but it sounds like you're due for a copper repiping job soon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks