Slab Over Sewer Line?

Users who are viewing this thread

nicad2

Reaction score
I am doing some planning for an addition to my somewhat small 50's ranch home. The current plan is to lay the new foundation over the sewer main line. We don't have many other options since the sewer line come out in the middle-back of the house. It seems like this could be a real problem if the line ever needed to be replaced. Especially, since many homes in my neighborhood, and possibly mine, have orangeburg main sewer pipes. Would it be reasonable to replace the line before the slab is poured, since a new line would be much less likely to fail? Here are pictures of the current and proposed floorplans with the sewer line drawn in. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Current Floorplan-.JPG
    Current Floorplan-.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,066
  • Addition-.JPG
    Addition-.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 953

Prashster

Reaction score
Does the right side of your addition have to be flush with the right side of your existing house? Is it possible to move the entire addition > 3-4 feet to the right?

Besides averting the sewer issue, it'd add architectural interest by breaking the long line of the right side of your house. Also, your existing bathroom would be able to keep its window to the outside.

nicad2

Reaction score
prashster said:
Does the right side of your addition have to be flush with the right side of your existing house? Is it possible to move the entire addition > 3-4 feet to the right?

Besides averting the sewer issue, it'd add architectural interest by breaking the long line of the right side of your house. Also, your existing bathroom would be able to keep its window to the outside.

I could make it smaller, but it can't be moved to the right since the city requires a five foot separation from the property line. The current design is exactly five feet :) There are also some options to move it to the left side of the house where there is more room. However, we strongly prefer the right hand side for many reasons including usability and appearance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sewer

You are going to have to replace that sewer eventually. I do them quite frequently around here, 2 in one week a month ago, so you might as well do it now while the back yard is going to be dug up anyway, and then put the addition where you really want it.

nicad2

Reaction score
hj said:
You are going to have to replace that sewer eventually. I do them quite frequently around here, 2 in one week a month ago, so you might as well do it now while the back yard is going to be dug up anyway, and then put the addition where you really want it.

Ok, so it is reasonable to build the addition over the pipe once it has been replaced. I guess another way to look at it is if the structure is using the pipe then it must be placed over it. That is how the house is now, though it is only over the pipe for a few feet.