TOTO install

Users who are viewing this thread

OTPED

Reaction score
I was given a Toto toilet to replace an existing Am Standard....I am told because it's current owner has ruined her floor due to a leak which was caused possibly by the floor opening be 10 inches and the Toto having a 12" size?
I understand the standard opening is 10"? Is that size what my Am Standard would have? (installed 17 years ago)
If I am to use this Toto, do I have to do major rework to the floor opening so it does not leak like the previous owner?
I am trying to install myself, so please let me know if:
*the opening size (on the floor) will need to be changed
*the piping or water supply distance will be different as I was told this also is different distance the the american toilets?
Since I am a single parent w/an autistic son, I am hoping to do this myself but do I need to get a plumber (last resort for me)
*if their floor was leaking, what can I do to better understand how to problem solve this reinstall?

Thanks for any detailed suggestions.
OTPED

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
95% of all toilets are 12" rough.

Since most specs allow for 3/4" of an inch behind the tank, you can get by with 11-1/4" from the wall to the center of the drain.

If you don't have that, you have two options.

Get a 10" rough toilet, (this is the cheapest and easiest solution)

Or move the drain.

Toto is like any toilet on the market as far as how they install.
But if you have a 10" rough, that is the main problem you will have to deal with.
You may be better off getting a Niagara if money is an issue, they adjust down to 10".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks