Ball Valve Question?

Users who are viewing this thread

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
I've installed this ball valve (pictured below) in my main water supply line. It is rated 600 WOG so I assumed that it can be used with either water, oil, or gas. What throws me off is the reference on the handle stating "shut off valve for LP gas". Did I install the wrong valve? Thanks for any information!!!

Jerry

Attachments

• Ball ValveC.jpg
    Ball ValveC.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,108

Finnegan

Reaction score
If the valve works, it is the right one. Seriously, there is no problem with the valve.

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. The valve does work. My main concern was really to make sure that the valve does not contain any materials not compatible with a potable water system.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
WOG is water, oil, and gas ( meaning compressed gas, not necessarily fuel gas) but it also carries the UL listing for LP gas. I would like to see an AGA cert. but I guess it is not mandatory. WSP means working steam pressure.

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Thank you hj and jimbo. When I installed the valve I threw away the tag that had the valve model number and other pertinent information. I went back to the store where I got the valve to see what information was available on that tag. Beside the model number the tag included a statement that the valve can be used for water, oil, and air. I confirmed this information on the manufacturer's website. So my self induced "crisis" is over, but I still don't understand the LP statement on the handle especially in view of the fact that usage with gas or liquid gas is not mentioned, but as you guys said WOG stands for water, oil, and gas. It was/is a bit confusing to me as well as to the store personnel when I asked them about the statement on the handle. But ultimately all is well that ends well...

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We know that you did not by a Mueller valve at a reputable plumbing supply. The employees were wearing a red or orange apron, I'm guessing.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
That valve right there I do not install. I will post pictures of those next time I have to replace one after just a few short years. Matter of fact I ended up with some by accident (online auction) I plan on turning around and selling to get rid of them. :mad:

Most times they will cancer out where the copper solders into the valve. That brass socket is extremely thin (unlike Nibco) and for some reason pitting occurs either by the flux corrosion or particles of sand when they casted the valve.

If I didn't scrap out my copper and brass recently I would of grabbed a handful of these valves and showed proof of what they look like.

Don't tear yours out because of what I stated, it might just be because of hard water in this area or huge bad lot of brass valves. But they are notorious for pitting/leaking.

I bet you paid $5.69 for that valve, right?

Last edited:

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
The 3/4" Mueller ball valves were actually $8.97 in my area. Similarly the Watts 3/4" ball valves were within $.20 of that price. To my untrained eye the Mueller valve looked like a better product, but obviously I could be wrong. Those were the only two types available. The store does carry a lot of Nibco products but I did not see any Nibco ball valves.

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Ok, so given the choice would you have taken the Watts valve over the Mueller? Next time around should I look for Nibco ball valves? What do you professionals recommend?

Thanks,

Jerry

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Kristi, thank you for the tip. In my area of San Francisco, Red White seems to have been a predominant brand of gate valves that were installed in homes at some point in time. In fact the Mueller ball valve that I have recently used was a replacement for an old Red White gate valve (probably at least 25 year vintage). I have a few more old Red White gate valves spread out throughout the house. I'll look into the Red White ball valves.

Thanks,

Jerry

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Just for general information in case anyone is interested, Italy seems to be the country of manufacture of many ball valves. The Mueller valve pictured above, the Nibco SFP600N series, and the Red White 5049F series are all manufactured there. It looks as if Apollo valves may be one of the few valves manufactured in the U.S.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Disturbing it is. I just did work behind another company that installed a powervent water heater and the 3/4" copper couplings they used were stamped KOREA.

I don't think we can ever expect "everything" to be American made/bought/sold when we demand such a high wage for our time for such little work (factories) and we have people in other countries assembling these components of plumbing for literally pennies on the hour. And some of them are happy with that wage. Now back to my immigration protest webcam in Los Angeles.

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
More Questions

In my continued attempt to find a domestically made ball valve, I've ran across Hammond valves. As with another premier ball valve manufacturer, Apollo, they have a domestic line and an import line. Within the domestic line they have a valve that is specifically rated for usage with drinking water, the 8511-NSF. The standard 8511 valve (without the NSF in the model No.) is not NSF rated for drinking water, but I am told by Hammond that it can be used in a potable water system. Can anyone shed some light on this. Are there any issues in using the standard valve as opposed to the NSF rated valve or is it OK to use it?

Thank you,

Jerry

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
How to sweat a Nylon-seat ball valve?

I've always taken valves apart when sweating them onto the lines (back in the days of washer-type valves), and wonder how you keep from melting the Nylon or other plastic-type seats on the new ball valves and 1/4-turn stops (other than be verrrry careful)? They sure don't come apart.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks