Grohe faucets-- direction

Users who are viewing this thread

Ho333ard

Reaction score
I just installed my Grohe Seabury in my pedestal sink, got the water hooked up . . . and noticed that the faucets turn opposite directions (as in toward the middle for open, toward the outside for shut).
Is this supposed to be this way?
Thanks . . .

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You want them to turn the same way?

It's not uncommon, and usually becomes intuitive. The faucet I grew up with (over 50 years now) works (still) that way. My mother still lives in the same house.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For a wide spread faucet? Yes.

It's common for the valves to turn in to open them up.
It's makes the most sense for lever handles.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
handles

That is the way it is supposed to be for lever handles, but not for round ones, but a lot of specialty manufacturers, and others, are lazy and just send all faucets as if they had lever handles. Some stems can be modifiied to turn in the opposite direction, and others have to be replaced with the correct one.

Ho333ard

Reaction score
hj said:
That is the way it is supposed to be for lever handles, but not for round ones, but a lot of specialty manufacturers, and others, are lazy and just send all faucets as if they had lever handles. Some stems can be modifiied to turn in the opposite direction, and others have to be replaced with the correct one.

Um . . . so I bought this overpriced, "high-end" stuff and the manufacturer was lazy?

Ho333ard

Reaction score
Terry said:
For a wide spread faucet? Yes.

It's common for the valves to turn in to open them up.
It's makes the most sense for lever handles.

Thanks for the explanation.

So would I have any standing contacting Grohe and asking for the "right" one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
my personal opinion, on a set, I prefer them to open towards the spout, especially if they are a 1/4 turn or abouts faucet. They often use the same guts and have different handles, so yes, it is easier to set up the package that way, too. As noted, I find it better, and not lazy, but everyone has good reasons for their feelings.

I find it a more natural motion if opening both at the same time to turn towards the spout, it is awkward going counterclockwise with both hands. On a utility sink, that's one thing, on a nice faucet, its another.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

ho333ard said:
Um . . . so I bought this overpriced, "high-end" stuff and the manufacturer was lazy?

I would say that most of the overpriced high end stuff is made by "lazy" manufacturers. Either that or they do not know the difference. But as far as being high end stuff, a lot of the manufacturers start with "economy" faucets and then just add their high end trim to it.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
handles

If they are round or cross handles, they should both open with a counter clockwise movement. If they don't, then changing the cold stem assembly to a hot one would make it work properly.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
direction

I find it a more natural motion if opening both at the same time to turn towards the spout, it is awkward going counterclockwise with both hands. On a utility sink, that's one thing, on a nice faucet, its another.

Many utility sink faucets have lever handles so they do turn opposite directions. But most users have become accustomed to round handles turning ccw, just like an ordinary valve. When someone like that encounters a cw opening round handle the first impulse is to assume it is stuck and try to force it open, before trying to turn it in the opposite direction. You may be an aberation, or have just been brainwashed by the manufacturers who do not wish to be bothered assembling two different versions of their valve bodies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks