Compression fittings for PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

themax3000

Reaction score

I am an appliance installer for an appliance store (I do mostly dishwashers and icemaker water lines). I often reuse existing 3/8" copper water lines for dishwashers, or replace them with new copper or a braided stainless steel flex line (none of the plastic look-alikes).

My boss recently mentioned that we could save some money if we started using PEX 3/8" water lines. He suggests that we can simply use 3/8" brass nuts and ferrules to connect the PEX to the standard 3/8" compression shutoff and d/w fitting.

My question: Can we use regular brass nuts and ferrules on the PEX, or are there special fittings that should be used? Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks so much for your help! :D

Rich

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what I've read (and I'm not by any means expert on this), to use compression fittings on PEX, requires a sleeve on the inside of the tubing to support the compression (i.e., have something strong enough to actually compress the fitting and make a waterproof connection). So, yes, if you also buy the sleeves, you can use standard compression fittings. I got this info from reading the installation instructions on BrassCraft PEX shutoffs - they include a sleeve in their shutoff kits. They provide plastic ones for 3/8ths and stainless steel ones for 1/2". They sell them in bulk, too. Probably available elsewhere, but I've not looked.

themax3000

Reaction score
Where do I get these?

OK, so both of you had excellent suggestions. I passed these along to my supervisor. He tells me he can find neither inserts for 3/8" OD PEX, nor ferrules (or the Qest compression fittings) for the same. He tried both of our Plumbing suppliers, as well Lowe's and Home Depot to no avail. Does anyone have links to the exact page of where we can buy this stuff? I just can't believe we can't find it anywhere.

Also, he really thinks we can get away with brass nuts and ferrules with no insert. Do you think this is suicide?

Thanks so much!

Rich

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Go to brasscraft.com and check out their compression pex fittings. There are also part numbers for a package of the ferrels in each size. Someone else must make these things as well.

Without some support on the inside, you could pull the valve off of the pipe since you are just playing with a spring. WHen you compress the copper, you are permanently deforming it; thatisn't the case with the pex.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You can also use Flare-It fittings on PEX. I can't imagine anyone not being able to find QEST fitings locally but I susppose they may not be allowed in that area. Usually Lowe's etc. has them with the PEX display. hey are dark gray plastic.

As to inserts, water treatment dealers have them up to CTS 1/2" ID.

You can also buy the fittings and such over the internet.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks