3/8 versus 1/2 Supply Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Picking up new angle stop for toilet.
Is the fill valve the limiting factor - will the toilet fill faster with the 1/2 compression outlet versus 3/8

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My guess is no, it would not fill faster because of the internals of the typical valve. I did look at http://www.brasscraft.com/PDF/0695_Stainless_Steel_Water_Connectors.pdf and noticed that the only toilet supply lines they make in braided SS in 1/2" have 1/2" FIP, not compression fittings on them. All of the other hoses are 3/8" with the standard toilet fitting.

On today's low-flush toilets, and a 3/8" hose, they don't take very long to refill in the first place - not like the old ones that may have needed to replace 8g or so, or even the 3.5g of the more recent ones.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Are BC still made in the USA anymore.

I most def. have used BC 1/2 and 3/8 compression toilet SS lines in the past. Still have *both* 1/2 and 3/8 compression supplies in my stash...

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know about the country of origin...next time I'm in a store carrying them, I'll look at a label, but you'll probably be there first!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My braided supply lines are the same whether they have 3/8" comp, 1/2" comp, or 1/2" IP ends

If you want more volume, you will need to go solid riser on them.
However, most fill valves won't know a difference.
Kohler made their one piece low-boy 9.5 gallon toilets with high volume fill valves because the tank was so low.
We used to plumb those with 1/2" stops and risers.

supply-line-sizes-terrylove-01.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks