Rough-in sizes

Users who are viewing this thread

tdoan

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand rough-in sizes. All the rough-ins for the toilets in our home are 10 in. Does this mean I can't buy a toilet with a 12-inch rough-in? FWIW - I'm looking at the tToto Ultramax Elongated 1 Piece Toilet MS604114CEFG#01. Are adapters available? What are my options?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Sick of clogged toilets,
Van

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most 12" rough bowls need 11-1/4" or more to the wall from center of drain.
We don't count the floor molding.

Most 10" rough bowls need 9-1/4" or more.

If you have less than 11-1/4", then the MS604114CEFG will not fit.
They do have the MS614114CEFG Carlyle that will fit at 9-1/4" with their 14" Unifit adapter. The toilet comes with the 12" adapter for standard installations.

In a two piece, it can be done with their CST744EF.10 10" rough bowl Drake with comfort height.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
They do have the MS614114CEFG Carlyle that will fit at 9-1/4" with their 14" Unifit adapter.

Terry means the 10" Unifit Adapter.

Make sure you are measuring right. Measure from the finished wall (not the baseboard) to the center of the closet flange (usually to the center of where the bolts are on the existing toilet, but not always).

Those toilet model numbers are, FWIW, for the Ultramax II and the Carlyle II. I have the Carlyle II and it is one very nice toilet.

Last edited:

tdoan

Reaction score
Thanks Terry & Wjcandee for your quick responses. Looks like I had measured incorrectly i.e. from the baseboard & strip to the center of the existing nut/bolt. Now that I've re-measured from the finished wall, it looks like 11-3/4" so it looks like I can stick with the Ultramax.

Much appreciated,
Van

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Thanks Terry & Wjcandee for your quick responses. Looks like I had measured incorrectly i.e. from the baseboard & strip to the center of the existing nut/bolt. Now that I've re-measured from the finished wall, it looks like 11-3/4" so it looks like I can stick with the Ultramax.

Much appreciated,
Van

Yep. It's probably going to fit. It's the "Ultramax II", by the way, for the model number that you gave. Write back once it's in and tell us how you like it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks