Drain, Waste, Vent Diagram

Users who are viewing this thread

bdgrbckr

Reaction score
The attached drawing shows my best effort to get on paper what I need help with. The venting is my biggest concern because there is a recently finished attic that I would rather not tear into to get a vent to the outside. Is it possible to use air admittance valves in the designated locations to avoid going through the attic?

On the 2nd floor, he laundry box and tub will be less than 2 feet from the 2" vertical drain line. Will they need a separate vent line? I added a dotted line as a general location if they do. The floor drain does not currently exist but it will be close to the vertical as well. A vent there as well? I'm thinking the AAV at the top of the vertical run will be brought back into the room for access.

On the 1st floor, there is a half bath that will tie into a 3" main that leads across the basement to a 4" stack with outside vent. The run is about 16 feet. I figured the AAV for the lav can sit inside the vanity and was thinking about bringing the AAV for the stool up through the floor and trying to hide it behind the stool. I know it sounds funky but wonder if it would work? Or if there are any other obvious problems.

DWV 002.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
In my experience, inspectors in WI will approve the use of an AAV if there is a structural reason that a proper vent cannot be installed. While this is often the case for a single fixture or two, I would never consider trying what you have suggested.

No section of a fixture's vent can run horizontally below the flood rim of the highest fixture served. The flat vent below the water closet is a definite fail.

The inspectors I have met in SE WI are often full time tradesman and part time inspectors. The general consensus is that drywall and paint is cheap, and is easily removed and replaced if need be to change the electrical or plumbing systems.

More often than not there will be a suitable place to run a proper vent inside a wall or one can build a feature that will hide the pipe which fits into the design of the existing space.

bdgrbckr

Reaction score
new plan

After reading your reply and reviewing some other posts, I made a new drawing. Please let me know if this looks better or needs changes. DWV 003.jpg

bdgrbckr

Reaction score
OOPS! I forgot the floor drain in the update. The half bath below has a 9' ceiling so I should be able to drop the drain lines below the joists and put the vent run over to the vent stack in the joists. And then just drop the ceiling height a little to cover it all. Thanks for any help/suggestions.DWV 004.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That is much better.

Not sure what your plan is with the floor drain, as unless the floor is made to be waterproof pan, the water will still come through the walls and floor. Often the washer is placed in a pan which has a drain.

bdgrbckr

Reaction score
Thanks. The floor drain is insurance more than anything. Everything is open at this point and it seemed like, for the cost, it couldn't hurt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks