Moen Push-fit connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Brandon M. Linker

Reaction score
Hi there. I just purchased a Moen 87350ESRS motion sense kitchen faucet. My concern is one review that stated the push fit connection going into the control box under the sink failed and flooded their house when they were away. Having received item and looking at the connection I can see how this might have happened. I was curious if my concerns are warranted. Here is a youtube video that shows the type of connection. If it doesn't take you straight to 3:55, please skip to that point.

http://youtu.be/fHze1DRMvfc?t=3m55s

The connection is a simple metal male end that inserts into a female end that has 5 or 6 prongs with teeth on them inside. It allows the metal male end to slip past, but when trying to pull out, the metal teeth grab. What I'm concerned about is metal grabbing metal doesn't seem like a secure connection. Has anyone ever worked with these before? What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They are similar in principle to Sharkbite fittings and are used on many faucets to make easy connections. I am not sure if the postings about failures are apocryphal, or actually happened, but ANY mechanical connection can fail.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the male end is not fully inserted, it may work for a bit, but pop out. It must be installed properly, and if done so without cocking it and breaking something until it is locked, it should be fine.

moen-motionsense.jpg

Moen Arbor MotionSense picture added by Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks