PDA

View Full Version : out with the old, in with the new????

genie
01-29-2006, 06:28 PM
I have 5 American Standard Ventaway toilets. I am doing 2 bathroom remodels and don't know whether to spend the money to buy new seats-they are discolored and cracked on the bumpers. They work fine but the plumber tells me by the time I replace the seats and have one repair I will probably could have bought a new toilet. They flush great. My kids could probably use an entire roll of paper and not clog. What to do??

plumber1
01-29-2006, 07:48 PM
With the cost of special seats and repair parts, I think I would replace the first two toilets while your doing those bathrooms over.

Cass
01-30-2006, 03:37 AM
As far as the Ventaway goes, Out with the old and in with the new. I'm not sure they even worked all that well (venting away) even when new.

hj
01-30-2006, 05:17 AM
They must be the low profile Roma model. If so the seats will cost about $170.00/ but since the toilets cannot overflow, I would not replace them, especially if you have children or they on the second floor of the house. I doubt that more than a dozen people with Vent-a-Way toilets even knew how to make the feature function. Almot everyone I have ever talked to, who had one, thought the venting function was automatic every time you flushed the toilet, which it is not.

genie
01-30-2006, 09:57 AM
American Standard ventaway- how do you vent them and what exactly does it mean??

Pictures of the ventaway at this link.
http://www.plumbingpartsdepot.com/astoiletident.pdf

plumber1
01-30-2006, 10:36 AM
The first thing you do is lift the trip lever which starts a flow of water to the back side of the toilets trap which in turn causes a vacuum at the bowl, which vents that area.

I'd ask HJ to help with the answer, because he has a good way with words.