faucet won't stay on

Users who are viewing this thread

colinml

Reaction score
This is in regard to a 15 year old Moen single handle bath faucet. I can pull the handle to open the flow of water into the tub, but as soon as I let go, the handle sinks back to the almost closed position, shutting off the water. It's as if there is a vacuum pulling it closed (and making it a little hard to pull open).

I've tried replacing the 1225 style cartridge already. This seemed to make things better initially, but within a few weeks the same problem returned.

Is there some other component I should be replacing along with the cartridge? Are defective cartridges common? Is there some other problem that I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Colin
moen1225.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Moen

Your complaint is somewhat unuseual.
The next time replace that cartridge with the more expensive all brass one.
I only suspect that you are using the less expensive plastic one.
Over the years I've noticed that some of the plastic ones start out being slippery and as you use them they become hard to adjust.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
moen

I have heard about it being a frequent complaint with the plastic ones, although I have not had it happen on any of my repairs. It is apparently because of the extra slippery grease Moen uses on the plastic ones. Sometimes the only cure is to use the metal one.

colinml

Reaction score
Thank you. I didn't realize there were different kinds of replacement cartridge. Just grabbed the only one I saw at Home Depot. And, I'm pretty sure it was plastic. I'll search on-line for a metal one. Thanks again.
Colin

colinml

Reaction score
Hmm...not having any luck finding a metal one. Everything I find looks just like the one I put in. Whether Moen brand, or import version, they all look like plastic with a brass stem. I honestly don't recall whether the one I put in was Moen or an OEM brand, but I'm fairly sure it was kind of expensive, so I'm guessing Moen brand.

In any case, it sounds like what you are saying is that the problem must be related to the cartridge. There's not really anything else that could cause this? Is that correct?

Thanks

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
moen

Look up Moen and call them. They may just send you one if your having problems.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
Moen has addressed this issue with an auxilliary o-ring to be installed on the packing (handle) side of the stem.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If I understand you right I don't know what that would do? It would just ride up and down with the stem.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
Sorry, it's meant to be installed adjacent to the o-ring on the handle side, so it's inside the outer housing. Basically, it's only there to increase friction.

In most cases, I find that running very hot water through the problem faucet for 5 minutes or so will take care of it. The trick is just keeping the faucet open that long.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks