New toilet and new floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Tak

Reaction score
I need to replace a toilet and the bathroom floor. It's two different people doing it. Which one should be done first? The new flooring is vinyl.

What is a fair price for installing a toilet? I live in metro Atlanta. And is replacing the flange usually extra?

Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The flange should be set on top of the finished floor. Now that said, if the new vinyl was laid around the existing flange, a thick wax ring would make up the difference. Price for installing a toilet or really any other job will vary widely from place to place, so it's really impossible to even guess a price. Installing a new flange would be extra, but would depend on if was cast iron or plastic plumbing. Toilet installation is a very simply DIY job, so you might want to consider that. Hope you are informed enough to buy a locally made Toto toilet.

Michael Tak

Reaction score
I'm learning about Toto toilets from this forum :)

I'm recovering from a back injury and the toilet is in one of those narrow toilet rooms within a bathroom. Otherwise I would do it myself.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Terry charges $179 to install a toilet that you buy from him. That's a good deal for a highly-competent real plumber. When I was putting in a Toto Vespin II, I got a quote from one guy that was $800, just for labor. Asinine. Needless to say I didn't use him. If you can get a real plumber to do it in Terry's price range, that's a decent deal.

Many Toto toilets are made there in Morrow. Toto recently redid all the restrooms at Hartsfield Airport. Replaced all the sinks, toilets, urinals, valves, etc. with Toto products. So it's good stuff.

Let us know if you want some recommendations. We personally have two original Toto Drake toilets (CST744S) which we love. Great workhorse toilet and a great value for the price. A little snazzier is the Drake II (CST454CEFG), which is comfort height, has a nonstick finish, and a swirling flush that gives a little better bowl rinse than the original Drake.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tile

You ALWAYS install the floor first and place the toilet on it. Vinyl flooring is too thin to cause any "height" problems with the flange. The flange is NOT replaced untless the old one is broken, and then it IS extra if you were quoted a price before the job was started, which I NEVER do.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Understand why you can't handle this DIY. I'd just shop around for a decent price. Toto toilets install exactly like every other toilet except for some models that use their special Unifit adapter, but you won't be needed that. Very routine job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks