Existing PEX Restrictions

Users who are viewing this thread

marybythesea

Reaction score
Hi, This is my first attempt to blog ...if I make mistakes, please advise. I need help. I ran 60' of 3/4" poly underground from a newly installed outdoor hydrant to the vicinity of an existing outdoor hydrant (in order to tap into its water supply). I uncovered the existing outdoor hydrant and found a T connection, one leg bringing in the main water supply, one leg to the hydrant, and the third leg was a 2' long section which had been capped for future use. It was all buried blue 3/4 pex which I can barely read but seems to say PEXa REM?? UV shield 120. I did not know how to connect to PEX so I called a plumber. He said he could not connect the capped PEX line to the poly because the existing PEX was "rayhow" and took a special tool. I asked if he meant the connector or the tubing ...he said the connector ...I asked why he couldn't just cut off the cap and use a different type of connector ...he said "well this type of blue PEX can only take a special connector which takes a tool costing thousands of dollars" I asked the name of the special connector and the special tool, but he could "not remember" the name. I felt uneasy as if he did not want the (small) job and was making excuses. From my online search, I found an expansion tool that costs between $199-399 by I saw no evidence that it alone was good for a particular pex tubing. Is it true that some types of PEX only take one kind of fitting, the tool for which costs thousands. If so, how would I identify that kind of PEX from other type a PEX. I would do the job myself if I knew what tools to use. Thanks in advance for guidance. marybythesea

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Mary,
The Poly can use an insert adapter to threaded, and the PEX can be threaded by sharkbite.
I prefer not to use a sharkbite fitting, but they do work and they are a listed fitting. And yes, it's a doable thing for a homeowner.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
PEX

That type of connection, "Wirsbo", only works with that type of PEX, but the "conventional" PEX fittings and connectors work with ALL types of PEX, including yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks