Quikrete All-Purpose Sand or Play Sand

Users who are viewing this thread

wmichsabre

Reaction score
So which sand to mix with Portland Cement? Quikrete All-Purpose sand or Quikrete Play Sand?

For the pre-slope in a shower floor, I used the All Purpose sand in a 4:1 ratio, but it seemed the sand was a little coarse. For the tile bed, I want to use play sand, because I think it would be easier to work with.

Any thoughts?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
So which sand to mix with Portland Cement? Quikrete All-Purpose sand or Quikrete Play Sand?

For the pre-slope in a shower floor, I used the All Purpose sand in a 4:1 ratio, but it seemed the sand was a little coarse. For the tile bed, I want to use play sand, because I think it would be easier to work with.

Any thoughts?

We have used both. Often Play Sand is very dusty and dry but clean. The heavier aggregate is not that much of a big deal.

Have you already flood tested your shower? Did all the water drain away?

What thin-set are you using and grout?

Mapei makes a pre-made 4-1 called 4-1

Laticrete makes a killer 3701 which is nice to work with.

What are you doing for weep hole protection? I have been playing around with using strips of Ditra Drain in lue of Candle wick pulled to the corners and using a few layers around the drain on our regular point drain installs. I think I'm on to something here.

My next shower I'm going to try and design the floor to wall assembly to include the Ditra Drain to come up and above the shower pan level a 1/2" so any wall draining behind the tile on the wall has an easy path to the bottom of the shower liner.

wmichsabre

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have water tested and no problems. I used the Mark E. Industries Pre-Pitch and Quick-Pitch sticks. Worked pretty well. The "Goof Proof Shower Kit" includes a weep hole protector plastic flange.

I plan on using an epoxy grout, but not sure which one...haven't gotten there yet.

After reading every post in every forum on the web, every YouTube video, and DIY'er guide, it seems there are many opinions and directions. As an engineer, I prefer black and white answers and directions. This project has been quite the learning experience.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
As an engineer you should know that I'm a blue collar worker. I am horrible and sentence structure and spelling. I do however test things the old fashion way.

I smack things with a framing hammer!!!

I have only tried one Epoxy Grout. That is Laticrete's Spectra Lock Pro - everytime we use it we get perfect results. Did you see my link above to the sample boards? I think the key is in the prep. The bond with the grout to the edges of the tile. Prep. Prep. Prep once you have prepped for grout three times - do it again.

You are not a master tile installer I'm guessing - there are many ways to screw up your job with the grouting process.

This week is a quite one for us. If you want to chat call me.

Like Noble Laticrete has some of the best tech support in the Industry. Reach out to Henry B Rothberg HBRothberg@laticrete.com and get him to have a tech man help you understand the process.

Save some of the cleaning solution incase you left a film on it.

I will be writing an article on Houzz in 2-3 weeks on this process and will share the story here.

Thanks for the reply. I have water tested and no problems. I used the Mark E. Industries Pre-Pitch and Quick-Pitch sticks. Worked pretty well. The "Goof Proof Shower Kit" includes a weep hole protector plastic flange.

I plan on using an epoxy grout, but not sure which one...haven't gotten there yet.

After reading every post in every forum on the web, every video, and DIY'er guide, it seems there are many opinions and directions. As an engineer, I prefer black and white answers and directions. This project has been quite the learning experience.

Epoxy Grout is pricy but because of this a sample board should nit be skipped. Use a digital scale to measure - double check the weight of the resins first(I found the weight printed on the packing to be off). As an engineer working out 10% of unit should be easy. To date we have only used Epoxy grout on horizontal surfaces and not used it on any walls yet. I have heard of people struggling with vertical and ceiling issues. We like to mock everything up before going into virgin territory so if your plan is to grout the walls prepare your mock up on a wall not the floor. You may find that cutting back the resin mixes 5% or 10% makes the grout a tad thicker. Ask the tech boys at Laticrete this question.

Tell Henry John sent you. He has been so good to my clients over the years - and me.

If you use his grout use his thin-set as well. Maybe pick up the 3701 for your dry pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks