sind and washer are backing up into my bathtub!

Users who are viewing this thread

kajc

Reaction score
My washer and kitchen sink are backing up into my bathtub. we have plunged and used chemicals to no avail. Does any one have any other ideas on whats going on and how to fix it?. Any info is greatly appreciated!

bcaka

Reaction score
I had a similar problem, and you may need to snake the main drain out of your house. What I did was to locate the lowest drain in the house - which in my case was the kitchen drain (I have a two-story house) and then I discovered right outside the kitchen wall was a clean-out access to the main drain (in a storage cupboard). Removing that I was able to run in a snake (from my local rental center) and at about 20' in I hit a blockage which with some effort I cleared and I've had no problems since. If you don't have a clean-out the alternative may only be to cut away the sink drain/trap and go in from there.

If it's any consolation, I also had an upstairs slow-draining sink and had to cut open the drain and snake that also, and at about 3' - 5' in I hit an obstruction which when cleared resolved that problem. What a pain! I would have happily paid a plumber but a good buddy of mine IS a plumber and he said (surprisingly enough) 'that's easy enough for you to do'...don't call me unless its REALLY a problem.'

I had to laugh...so good luck!.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have a major clog in your drain. Plunging will not do the job, and chemicals not only won't clear a clog, they can be dangerous to the plumber who you will eventually have to call. A DIY snake is not large enough to do clear anything but the simplest of clogs and ofter just pushed the clog deeper and tighter. Find a professional that can properly auger your entire drain. Tell him what chemicals you poured in and when.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

It depends on how the fixtures are arranged. You could have a simple clog in the branch line to the tub, in which case a small snake is needed, or if it is a main line, which would normally affect the toilet also, you need a large one. In either case you have to know where to insert the snake to get the best results.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks