Electrician playing plumber!

Users who are viewing this thread

Irdaniam

Reaction score
I am nealy complete with the demo work for a tub to shower remodel.
The remo will include the entire bathroom, walls and ceilings.
Next step is to remove the tub.
I have located the area to access the plumbing.
The water lines I can deal with but, I do not know what to expect with the
drains.
The house was built late 60's possibly early 70's.
Can anyone please shed some insight as to what I will
be dealing with.
I have no wires so now I am lost.
Thanks in advance for any and all help with this endeavor.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some of the things you will have to be concerned with include a 2" drain for the shower, at least 3" for the toilet, 1-1/2" for the vanity. All drains must be vented* and have at least 1/4" per foot slope. The toilet flange sets on top of the finished floor andthe center of the flange is located 12" from the finished wall behind the toilet.
*Toilets that are 6" or less from the main stack do not have to have a separate vent.

This should give you something to start with. :)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to bond the shower valve and drain, and vanity faucet and drain, if it is chrome, to the ground wire of the nearest outlet also the toilet drain if it is copper or cast iron.

Since you are an electrician would you be interested in buying my used wire stretcher? :)

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

Cass said:
You need to bond the shower valve and drain, and vanity faucet and drain, if it is chrome, to the neutral side of the nearest outlet also the toilet drain if it is copper or cast iron.

Since you are an electrician would you be interested in buying my used wire stretcher? :)

I hope this was written with your tongue firmly pressed to the inside of your cheek.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks