Basement Floor Drain - Purpose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chicago DIY

Reaction score
Can someone tell me the purpose of a basement floor drain?

I have 2 in my basement and can't determine what they are there for besides if the basement flooded.

I recently added interior drain tile and a sump pump so flooding is not an issue.

My real question is if I can cement over them and them run ceramic tile over it. They will be in the middle of a family room I am planning.

Thanks for the advice.

Finnegan

Reaction score
Floor drains generally exist for convenience. I would like one in my basement, but they are often difficult to install after the slab is poured. If you no longer want it, you can just cap it off.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Draining the basement in case of a broken water line or flood is the only purpose, but if you every had the shut off valve on a 1" copper supply line break off with no way to stop the water until an emergency worker from the city could arrive to shut the main off, you'd value at least on drain very much.

Chicago DIY

Reaction score
Thanks guys....

Recommend I do not cover it over then.

I noticed a mild smell coming from them...I understand from reading other posts that they can dry out. So I poured a few buckets of water down them last night. Smell seemed to stop.

Wondering if there is cap or rubber flange I can put on them that could be removed if the basement flooded? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That would be defeating the purpose of have drains. These drains are like all drains. They have a P trap and if they aren't used for awhile then water in them will evaporate and cease to work. You proved that when you recharged them with water. It only takes a quart or two now and then. :)

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
I run the softener drain and the water heater tpr into it, but mine is in the mechanical room... The softener recharging keeps the trap full.

Could you get a fattie cork or rubber plug from the big orange box to fit it? Maybe an old style tub drain cork with the chain on it?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It still sounds to me like you are thinking of you basement as a big bathtub. Do you not want the drain to work unless you pull the plug? You don't want to put anything over the drain except the grate that is part of it. Maybe I'm not reading what you're saying right.

Chicago DIY

Reaction score
I think you guys are right...leave as is....pour water down here and there so it doesn't dry out.

Since my house has steam heat, I have a space vac in the attic for central air I have no way to add water to the drain here and there. Also no water softner.

I figured plugging it may stop any smell but I think that would really just make it worse. Flooding and potential smells.

My whole point in covering was due to the fact that the drains are in the middle of the basement. House was built in 1923 and back then I don't think they ever considered the basement as a potential rec room.

Figured covering the drains would look better than leaving them as is and carpeting around them.

I know carpet in a basement not wise but I put interior drain tile and a sump pump in over a year ago and no water problems since.

Of course the sewer could back up and the carpet would be shot. I think I'll take the gamble and replace the carpeting if that ever happens.

Thanks for all the EXCELLENT advice!! :D

JCH

Reaction score
Couple of points:

1) Try pouring a cup of vegetable oil into the drain. It won't evaporate so you won't risk the trap running dry over time.

2) Install a back-flow preventer on the drain. They come in 3" and 4" sizes. Looks like a rubber float in a metal cage. When the water backs up, the rubber float rises and seals the drain shut.

Hope that helps,
.../j

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The purpose of a trap is to prevent sewer gas and odor from coming into the house. It forms a water seal. A problem with a backflow preventer can arise because lint and normal debris can get into the drain and gum up the works in the backflow preventer so if water backs up, they don't work. There is a type that has a plastic float ball that will rise with that water and should be a better alternative...at least I hope so because that's what I have now after a couple of backups of the city sewer into my basement. Possibly had I ran water through the old trap frequently, the flap on the BF would have worked.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks