piping for shower help please

Users who are viewing this thread

FISHIN-T

Master Electrician
Reaction score
Hello.
I'm in the middle of remolding my house. I had removed the old plumbing in the upstairs bathroom . Then updated everything for a new shower and a jetted bath . Everything works great, with the exception of the hot water to the shower. It takes a long time for the hot water to get to the shower. At the moment , The water heater is located in the basement about 100' of pipe away. I do have a new water heater ,that I am going to install closer, just not yet.

The feed I have for the tub and shower , is a 3/4 pvc pipe. It goes to the tub first, then " T's " off to the shower. They both are located next to each other. Shower being about 15' of pipe away. The Bath tub hot water is fine. Also, should mention. The reason why, I had plumbed it that way. Was to save on drilling more holes into the floor joist of my 100 year old home (already looked like Swiss cheese, before I got to it)

So here is the Question, Is there a better way to plumb the shower? Being a master electrician. I chose Pvc pipe at the time. But , if it would help, I can run copper. I installed the plumbing two years ago ,while having the upstairs floor pulled up . Right now I have the ceiling directly below the tub and shower removed. With that, access to the pipes are very easy. We will be closing up the ceiling tomorrow night .(Thursday ) So any help soon as possible , would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks T..

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
PVC is not legal for interior use. CPVC is, but generally is not too satisfactory. I'd definitely switch to copper. Follow the link on the home page to a short disertation on pipes. You will need more time to do this than just 1 day unless you have a crew of plumbers. Not especially hard if you have access, but time consuming.

FISHIN-T

Master Electrician
Reaction score
Sorry I should have said cvc. Because That is what I used. As for running the copper pipe. I agree with changing it over and will use it from now on. Also,I would be able to do it in a half day, because of the amount of pipe that is going to be covered up is very easily accessible and not that much.

Any ideas on what might help with the hot water getting to the shower faster. I was going to use a little in-line water heater. Just it seems that sort of distance I shouldn't have to.

The only thing I can think of, that I done wrong. Was to continue the 3/4 cvc to the shower. The shower fixture had 1/2 openings and I used a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer fitting. I had Read that inside diameter of 3/4 cvc is about the same as 1/2 copper.Anyways thanks for help with the copper.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can install a recirculating system in the hot water line that will give you virtually instant hot water. This involves installing a pump near the water heater and a return line from the hot water line(s) furthest away from the tank. There are several brands available, I use a Laing brand. You can find their website and see the models available as well as more details in the installation. I insulated all of my hot water lines with foam insulation to help lower heating costs. I got my Laing on **** which saved me considerable.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sometimes the shower valves have an adjustable limiter control on them...this might prevent it from completely shutting off the cold water. It is also possible that the spool valve (assuming it is a pressure balance valve) could be stuck part way. Is that portion of pipe running next to or through an unheated space - or one that might get significant cold air intrusion? That can cool the water off, too. If you didn't, you might want to insulate all of the pipes while you have access.

FISHIN-T

Master Electrician
Reaction score
Thanks a million guy's. I'll insulate the pipes. Plus check Kohlers web site to look at there trouble shooting link.

BowlBreaker

Reaction score
umm maybe kohlers PBV only flows 4gpm and on top of that the shower head is restricted by law to 2.75 and then as the press balanced valve is mixing cold with hot to get to 100 degree temp that most male humans like to shower at all equal longer delay for HW to reach shower. that is if tub filler is not PBV and he's turning on only HW side of faucetthen HW will reach it must faster. but if tub is using same valve and only difference is water discharging from unrestricted tub spout, then there shouldn't much time diff between the two. what kind of pipe or which one it goes to first being only 15 feet away ain't gonna make a difference.
if you do have a two valve tub filler, just turn on the HW there for a minute before starting up your shower and enjoy your almost instant HW shower!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks