PDA

View Full Version : Venting the toilet...

jblu99874
01-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Hi guys -- new fella here who is new to the forum and to remodeling. Great site for me, thanks.

I have removed a sink whose 2" abs drain/vent tied into the 3" abs drain of the adjacent toilet. I would now like to remove all of the 2" abs (drain AND vent) but I'm not sure if I can. My concern is that I will be removing the vent that the toilet used.

But there are two other vents that attach to the toilet's 3" abs drain. One is 5' downstream where the 3" abs drain 90's downstairs and into the slab. There is a vent here. The other is 5' upstream where the bathtub is. It's drain (2" abs) ties into the toilet's drain and it has a vent as well.

If anyone can follow this, can you tell me if I am good to remove the vent? Will the toilet drain now just vent out the shower's (upstream) or out of the main vent (downstream)? Will I still have adequate flushing power? Thanks in advance.

Dunbar Plumbing
01-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Just for safety's sake, take pictures of your situation at numerous angles and someone can better help you. Pictures tell the story almost without words sometimes. Good try though. :D

jblu99874
01-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks Rugged, I kinda figured. I had a guy in the know look at it today and he said I should be fine. Appreciate the reply, I'm still here brutha! I'm certain I'll have plenty more questions before this is done.

jadnashua
01-14-2006, 07:18 PM
From what I read here, it appears that you are right on the edge of distance from the fixture to the vent. Can you just cap off the unused drain and leave the vent installed? Might depend on the mood of the inspector whether it would pass. My unprofessional opinion.

jblu99874
01-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Do you know what that number is? The max distance I can go from the fixture to the vent and still be in code? How 'bout to still work well? To keep the current vent would involve a lot of work because I ripped out the wall it used to go up. I would have to re-route through some load bearing... yaada, yaada. Thanks.

jadnashua
01-15-2006, 01:01 PM
I leave code questions to the pros! What you have is likely to work, but again, I'll leave that observation to the pros for confirmation. Sometimes it depends just on which set of codes your local uses, too.