WATER CAN'T GET into my toilet properly

Users who are viewing this thread

smr

Reaction score
My toilet have a problem for 3 months already. After I flush, the water can't fill into the tank automatically. Only when I turn off the water supply valve, then turn it on again, the water can begin to be pushed into the tank. It looks the valve or sth inside the tank lost the proper function. They can't constantly keep the water pressure.

Any ideas?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
toilet mystery

First thing that comes to mind is that your fill valve has a little plastic piston that is supposed to slide up when the water leaves the tank after a flush. And when you close and open the shut-off it jolts that piston just enough to cause the water to flow.

Change the ballcock and see what happens. While your at it put a new Korkey flapper in the tank, won't cost you $10.00

Possibly the washer in the shut off is loose and flips around causing the water to stop.

Joerg

Reaction score
Check that rubber washer in the the shut-off as plumber1 had suggested. If your water contains a lot of chlorine like ours does these rubber parts disintegrate over time. But put some Kleenex down before that job, this black gooey mess from a worn rubber washer gets everywhere.

I change our rubber washers every two years or so before they begin to fall apart.

Regards, Joerg.

smr

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

is there any picture to show the parts you guys are talking about. I guess I need to familiar with the terminology first.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One of four things (that I can think of...I'm not a pro)...either the fill valve in the toilet needs service - maybe just a new washer or gasket, or the float that turns the toilet on is sticking, or the shutoff valve's washer is deteriorated and plugging up the valve, or the hose/pipe between the toilet and shutoff is partially plugged.

How does the valve feel when you turn it off? Is it really spongy? get a bucket, turn the water off to the toilet, flush it and hold the lever down so all of the water goes out. Remove the pipe or hose that goes into the fill valve assembly in the toilet, get your bucket in place, then turn the water back on. Does it run? If it is not running well, then replace the hose/pipe between the shutoff and the toilet and try again. If it still is slow, shut off the main water, remove the toilet's shut off and get yourself a nice 1/4 turn shutoff and then put it all back together.

The hose could be swollen and full of crud as the result of high chlorine levels, or iron particles from galvanized piping, or other things. Shutting off then turning on the valve jolts things a little so it will run. My unprofessional opinion.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A float valve isn't worth the time to repair. Replace it. If you still have problems, you have done a preventative maintance job with the new valve and eliminated that as the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks