Wall mount carrier problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Joerg

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

Here is the dilemma: A wall mount toilet broke and I took it out. Then I saw that the waste horn is not in line with where it should be (it should be centered between the lower two bolts). It is about 1/2" too high and also not protruding past the finished wall. I tore out a bit of the wall to see which carrier it is. Turns out to be an "Ancon" and there is a hand-written number "CA 5123" on there. This cannot be found on the Watts Industries web site.

Peeking behind with a flash light it looks like the waste line is not held by any metal parts but free. It won't move at all. I haven't yet freed the whole carrier bracket because that would pretty much destroy the tiled wall.

The old toilet had been jammed in there with a huge wax ring but that does not sound right. What can I do? Is there a way to overcome the 1/2" offset? Major re-plumbing?

On the instructions for new toilets like the Glenwall it simply says "adjust waste horn". Well, how it that done?

Regards, Joerg.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
carrier

You adjust the horn by screwing the threaded nipple in or out, on most carriers, but then most of them have the carrier and toilet outlet as a single item so it cannot get displaced from its proper alignment.

Joerg

Reaction score
Hello HJ,

Well, the main problem would still be the offset. The ABS enchilada is just coming out of the floor/raised foundation framing and it doesn't move one bit. It's mounted on an outside wall and they roughed it in super tight. The vent pipe also must be angling off through some 2*4 studs since there is a window above the water closet.

I was thinking about scrapping the whole wall mount thing and re-plumbing for floor mount. But that area is an extremely tight crawl space. Getting there would be one challenge, code compliant venting would be an even bigger challenge.

Maybe I have to tear off the wall to see if this "face-plate only" type carrier can be adjusted in height. Of course, then I'd have just added a tiling job to the whole thing. Which means that the floor has to go because the tiles don't match, then the vanity tiles won't match, and so on...

Regards, Joerg.

Joerg

Reaction score
Larger nipples for wallmount waste horn?

Are there larger nipples for wallmount waste horns? Mine is about 1/2" off center and it has a screw nipple. No idea if it will ever come off again after 35 years but I was wondering: If I had one that would open to about 4 1/2" inner diameter instead of 3 7/8" it might fit over the waste horn of a new Glenwall.

What would be the company on the web with the largest selection of ABS parts where I could look around?

Regards, Joerg.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks