Vanity sink trap - can I use 90's after the trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Installing a 60" dual sink vanity in a master bath. Each has its own 1.5" drain stub out.

To maximize space inside the cabinet I would like to route the drain piping in the manner best suited to the layout. What it means in English is i want to use up to 3 90 degree elbows downstream of the trap.

The sink tailpiece will go directly to the trap, but after the trap I want the feedom to route the pipe to my liking. Is it OK to use 90s after the trap?

Thanks.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
No, the trap should go directly to the stub out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
elbows

Since you may already have an elbow in the wall, that would make four 90 degree turns and two is normally the maximum number allowed. And when your drain plugs up those extra elbows are going to make it very difficult to unplug it.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The lightbulb went off when I was in the Lowe's plumbing dept. I figured I could use 2 wall pipes which have 90 deg. elbows built in. I think I over thought this one, thanks again.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
By MN code, a trap arm can only be offset a maximum of 90°, using either a long sweep 90 or 2) 45's.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
90's

If you were planning to use 1 1/4" "flush ells" which have slip joint ends, then you would have had a drain that fell apart everytime you bumped it.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Well here's the status. One trap went real well and I didn't need any 45s or 90s. Just an extension tube and everything is fine, nice and dry.

The other trap (2 sink vanity) is farther from the stub out. I only had to use one 45. The problem is that the 45 is chrome with slip joints on either end. Everything else is plastic tubing, 1 1/4". I think you're right in that the chrome to plastic connection is not real solid. Neither Home Depot nor Lowe's had 1 1/4" plastic 45s. What gives? Should I keep looking for a 1 1/4" plastic slip joint 45 or do I need a different approach?

Thanks for the help.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Hope to get some feedback on this. I'm not sure what the next step is to fix the one trap that is leaking. I think I need a fitting that's not available at HD/Lowe's, or I have the piping wrong overall. Thanks.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Hi guys. I would really like some advice with this. Not really sure what my options are. The issue is I get a good fitting setup if I use plastic tubing in a sink trap, with the exception of one chrome 45 degree dual slip nut fitting. Problem is the chrome to plastic joint is not real solid. If there is such a thing as a 45 degree dual slip nut *plastic* fitting, I would be in business. So far I can't find such a thing.

If a 45 deg. plastic fitting exists, just not at HD/Lowes, it would be good to know this. Yes/no?

If I am totally in left field, please let me know. As it stands I have a leaking sink trap and don't really know which direction to turn. Thanks alot for any pointers with this.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Latest update on this. Still don't have a solution.

I'm going to try the following. FYI I have a bronze DWV fitting in the wall with male 1 1/4" pipe threads.

If anyone cares to offer their $0.02 on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Starting from the sink tailpiece:

1. Plastic extension tube, plastic slipjoint nut
2. Plastic p-trap, plastic slipjoint nut
3. Plastic extension tube, plastic slipjoint nut
4. One side of a 1 1/4" trap adapter. Bronze slipjoint nut
5. Other side of trap adapter. Sweat connection to 1 1/4" copper
6. Short 1 1/4" copper pipe, sweated to adapter and 45 degree copper elbow
7. 45 degree copper elbow, sweated to 1 1/4" copper pipe on both sides
8. Short 1 1/'4" copper pipe, sweated to 1 1/4" female pipe thread adapter
9. Female pipe thread adapter, attached to bronze male fitting in wall stub out.

Attachments

• plumbing2.gif
    plumbing2.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 2,027

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
It's been about 2 hours and the trap has not leaked, even with sustained hot water running through it! Yippee! I plumbed it using the sketch above, but without the extension tube between the p-trap and the trap adapter. Had to use teflon paste in all the threads (plastic and copper) in order for it not to leak. What a bugger this was.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks