View Full Version : What kind of fitting for this tubing? (fun plumbing photos attached!)

08-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Hello, this is my first plumbing project and I'm not sure what everything is called, but I could really use some help figuring out the parts I need.

I've just replaced my kitchen faucet, but the fitting that connected the hot water from the faucet to the valve under the sink had a cracked/broken gasket.

The broken fitting - front:

The broken fitting - back:

The spiral metal tubing that goes from the valve and was inserted through the back of the fitting:
What is this kind of tubing called? I tried googling just about every variation of adjectives I could think of and couldn't find it...

I went to several stores, and none of them had that exact kind of fitting. Does anybody know what it is, or what other kind of fitting I could use with that kind of tubing?

At first I thought the fitting was one piece, but I was able to take it apart into a compression nut, a washer, and the (broken) gasket. I found a fitting that looked similar at the store, but it's not quite the same and the tubing didn't fit through the back of it.

Original fitting (top) and new fitting that's similar but doesn't work (bottom):

If I can't find the right fitting, I suppose I will have to replace the valve. Of course, since this is my first plumbing project, I'm not sure what kind of socket the valve is. The current one looks like a 1/2" pipe thread?

Thanks for any help!

08-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Is the tubing at the valve connected via a similar nut? If so, you may be able to just unscrew it, and replace the whole thing with a standard supply hose to a new compression valve (get a 1/4-turn ball valve shutoff). Those shutoff valves you have aren't known to be the greatest thing, and you'd have to replace that at the same time as well.

08-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks Jim. The tubing at the valve seems to be a part of the valve, so likely the whole valve will need to be replaced. It's a bigger undertaking since I'll have to go figure out where the water main for our building is, but on the other hand, I'm pretty sure those valves have been leaking a bit anyway - there is a permanently damp spot right under them.

08-25-2012, 04:07 PM
That is a valve with an integral spiral supply line. The "gasket" you need is called a "screw on cone washer", but the proper repair would be to remove that valve, install a conventional one with a stainless steel flexible supply line. The spiral line often cracks when you try to adjust it for a new faucet.

08-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Yeah, a little misunderstanding here...yes, that hose is part of the valve...I was asking if at the sink valve at the other end, it was connected with a similar nut. If so, then replace the shutoff valve and the hose and all will be well.

08-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Yes, it is a threaded cone washer...but PLEASE heed the advice to REPLACE the valve. There is an unwritten rule on those corrugated supply lines.....it you touch it , it will break. NEVER reuse one.

08-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks all, I went and bought new 1/4 turn ball valves with 3/8" supply line connector and some new stainless steel supply lines. The new valves have a compression nut with ferrule to connect to the 1/2 copper pipe coming out of the wall. I was going to buy some teflon tape to wrap the pipe beforehand, but the guy at the store said it wasn't necessary. We'll see how it goes!

08-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Well, the big box store clerk got that right! No tape on a compression fitting! Do use two wrenches putting it on, one to hold the valve, and the second one to tighten the compression nut.