Can I put laundry valves and hose behind a stacked washer/dryer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bandrewfox

Reaction score
Am I a DIY-er roughing in my laundry room now.

I am hoping to put my washer/dryer in a stacked position to the left of my laundry sink. To the left of my washer/dryer is the corner of the room. Directly above my laundry sink are windows. So, I am wondering if I can put my washer hose valves and the drain behind the stacked washer and dryer. This may be a dumb idea (since it will be harder to reach in an urgent situation), but is it against UPC code?

I guess an alternative would be that I could put the shutoff valves under the laundry sink (and keep the drain behind the washer/dryer). Does that have any code issues?

Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Codes do not address this. Common sense including ease of installation, say do as much prior planning and creative plumbing as you can!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's a good practice to shut the valves off whenever you are not actually running a load, so putting them behind where they are inaccessable isn't a very good idea!

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
I put mine on the side. I can get to them if I need to. Behind will work, but I would add shutoffs somewhere else where they are accessable if you do.

Attachments

• 10151837776015223.jpg
    10151837776015223.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 9,786
  • drywall is up, mud and tape has started - 10151548235875223.jpg
    drywall is up, mud and tape has started - 10151548235875223.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 10,334
  • Washing machine supply water pipes Installed in th.jpg
    Washing machine supply water pipes Installed in th.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 12,240

Bandrewfox

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments! Chad, I like your idea of putting on the side - maybe I will try that. I also really like the waterproof pan you put under the washer. Should I do that, too? How often do these things fail?

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
if it's on a main floor instead of the basement, i would recommend it. If there was a leak, it could cause major damage if not caught in time. I got mine from home depot (online) . it has a 2" drain in the center which I plumbed in the basement to drain into my sump pump pit. 30x32 i think is the size, this one has a removeable front threshold piece that makes it easy for sliding the stacked units into the pan. the measurements i gave are outsize measurements and they barely fit the lg washer and dryer. i think the inside lengthwize measurement was closer to 27 or 28", so make sure it will fit your machine's footprint.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...keyword=washer+pan&storeId=10051#.UDGJgKN618E

Nestork

Janitorial Technician
Reaction score
Every major appliance manufacturer will tell you to close the shut off valves to your washer when it's not in use, but hardly anyone actually does that. What you should do is use braided stainless steel supply hoses, like these:

FH09OCT_NEWAPP_04.JPG

instead of the standard rubber garden hoses that might come with your washer. That's because stainless steel is much harder than the sheet metal used to make the washer and dryer cabinets. So, if a cotton reinforced rubber hose is rubbing against a sharp edge on the back of your washer's metal cabinet, it'll eventually cut through the hose and you could have some major water damage by the time you find out what's happening. But, if that same thing happens with a stainless steel hose, the much harder stainless steel will wear the sharp edge of the sheet metal down, saving you that potential water damage.

Most appliance parts stores will sell braided stainless steel washer supply hoses.

Last edited:

Nestork

Janitorial Technician
Reaction score
I've had the braided stainless ones on all three of my washers for about 15 years now with no problems.

Believe me, if those hoses were causing any sort of problem, my tenants would complain long and loud about it.

I have some tenants that will complain if the flourescent light for their stove console doesn't work, even though they never turn that light on, and don't intend to start. You can imagine how ballistic they'd go if something was making their laundry smell bad. It'd be like pulling the fire alarm in a kennel.

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I've had the braided stainless ones on all three of my washers for about 15 years now with no problems.

Believe me, if those hoses were causing any sort of problem, my tenants would complain long and loud about it.

I have some tenants that will complain if the flourescent light for their stove console doesn't work, even though they never turn that light on, and don't intend to start. You can imagine how ballistic they'd go if something was making their laundry smell bad. It'd be like pulling the fire alarm in a kennel.

Not all braided hoses are the same. I have seen some that not only cause odors but also cause black oily partials in the washer. Come out with a good product and someone will find a way to cheapen it up.

John

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
These shutoffs were behind the stacking washer. There was a laundry tray where the foor dryer had been. The homeowner wanted less space behind the washer stack so that it could be pushed back farther. Also, not behind the washer, but in view.

adamson_washer_1.jpg

Placed to the side of the washer in view.

adamson_washer_2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks