Island sink and DW venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a home and have run across a couple of plumbing issues. I don't believe the kitchen sink is vented properly or vented at all. Assuming the sink is vented, the distance from the p-trap to the where the vent ties in is 10 to 12 feet at least. Is this okay is there a chance that trap could be siphoned out?

An AAV would solve the issue pretty easily, but from what I have read they are a last resort. And I am not sure if they are even allowed. The home location is in Northport, NY.

I understand that the island should be plumbed like the image below and that makes sense. In order to not have the plumbing hanging to low in the basement and for the drain to be high enough to make it to the main stack without have move where it enters the stack how close (vertical distance) can the vent and drain be where the red arrows are?

island vent.jpg

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are in NY. I believe you can go with an AAV and though I hate the damn things, an island sink is the only place I would rather see one than a loop vent. See that horizontal section on the loop vent that leads up? That flat section is going to get filled with crap and block the vent and although you are supposed to put a clean out there, nobody is ever going to periodically use it. The other solution is to waste stack vent it if possible.

Reaction score
Good point on the eventual clogging of the horizontal vent section. I did not think of that. In this case the horizontal section would be a decent length (10 to 15 feet).

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Just curious. Would up-sizing to 2 or 3 inch (depending on what's downstream) help on the horizontal vent and by how much?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For that horizontal on the vent to plug up, you would first have to plug the entire kitchen sink line. If the main kitchen line is plugged, it's going to get snaked first.

The main lines plugs, and then nothing is done. Really? Doesn't someone figure out that the kitchen sink has quit working at some point? I've seen plenty of Island Sink vents put in over the years. I like em!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only way ANYTHING gets into the horizontal vent is when the sink plugs up. When the drain line is cleared, the water in the vent DRAINS carrying the 'debris' with it. For all practical purposes the vent line should NEVER plug up. A smaller vent line will work better than a large one because it will "scour" better when the drain is cleared.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks