View Full Version : Fridge water filter union

08-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Had to take the door off GE Fridge. Disconnected water supply from under fridge to door (not the supply line from behind fridge). The line is clear plastic with a union. I just pulled it out with a bit of force. I tried to reconnect today and it wouldn't get tight, leaked when I turned the water on. So I ordered a new union from Sears. Is that all you are suppose to do, forcefully fit those two plastic tubes in to the union? In the union, there were little metal pieces that looked like it 'clamped' or tightened it in there.


Any advice or thoughts?

08-08-2012, 03:49 PM
There are some unions that are push fit.
Without a picture, it's hard to say what you have.

08-08-2012, 04:01 PM
What you should have done was to push in on the gray plastic to release the coupling. By just pulling it apart you destroyed the coupling. When you install the new one I suggest you cut the plastic pipe back some. You may have also damaged the plastic line.


08-09-2012, 05:59 AM
As john201 says, you possibly damaged the coupling and the tubing. Both may be non-standard sizes and hard to find. Go to repairclinic.com , put in your model number, and look at parts list and diagrams.

The procedure to remove that type of coulping is t press inward on the gray clip. Then the tube slides right out.