Laundry Room Remodel - Drain Trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

philjd

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been searching online trying to find answers to my reno questions, and constantly came up with hits from this forum, so I thought I should sign up.

I am redoing the laundry room and would like to replace a double laundry sink with a single, add an outlet/connection box for the washer (supply lines and drain in wall, nice and tidy) as well as a drain for my new water softener.

The old laundry sink and washer standpipes are 1 1/2", were not vented, nor did they have P-traps (didn't really notice a smell, and I am on a septic tank/field; not sure if that makes a difference). There is a 3" soil stack running from the upstairs 1/2 bath that I was planning on tapping into, but then read about NOT draining downstream from a toilet.

How should I go about connecting my washer standpipe, single laundry sink, and water softener drain?
Can the softener drain into the laundry sink, or does it need it's own standpipe?
Will I have to break open the floor and replace the 1 1/2" pipe with 2"?
What about venting this mess (I am in Canada, if that makes any difference)?

Hopefully the pics attached properly, so you can see what I'm dealing with.

Thanks IMG_6507.jpgIMG_6508.jpgIMG_6509.jpg

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
1-1/2" is fine. you would need to vent it to the floor above and tie into existing vents above flood level rim of uppermost fixture...there may be a trap below the floor serving that line....not good practice, but it may have been done that way...the softener must be an indirect connection so draining into the sink is a good option

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pretty strange setup.
In the US, 2" would be required for the washer standpipe, and the p-trap would need to be above the floor level.
The vent would be 1.5" tied in at 42" above the next floor.

The washer and the laundry tray would revent to each other at 42" above the basement floor.
Both the washer and the laundry tray would have p-traps.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Newer WM tend to have higher velocity pumps than the old ones, and you might have problems with a 1.5" line...depends. In the USA, code requires it to be 2", Canada may be different, but physics aren't!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks