Exterior Hose Bib question

Users who are viewing this thread

FatDaddy

Reaction score
I would like to replace an exterior hose bib with a ball valve,quarter turn replacement. The replacement has male threads that would be attached to my 1/2" copper line.
A couple of questions:
How do I sweat the male threaded bib to the copper? Should I attach a female threaded cooper adapter to my line and just screw it on or should I sweat the threaded male brass to a female copper and then sweat it to my 1/2" copper line?

Also,I have to install the hose bib sideways because the deck would not allow room enough to attach a hose in the normal way. Is this common practice?

Thanks in advance.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If this is exposed to the outside, in Connecticut it should be a frost free valve and it will not drain if turned sideways. If it is not frost free, it should have a shut off inside so the bib can drain in the winter. It can be turned as desired, but the pipe needs to have a slight downward slope.

FatDaddy

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses.

I do have a shut off inside and the 1/2" line does have a slight drop to it.
I can't say that about the other faucets,but this one does and right now it is my main concern as I have a project going on.Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks