Sink Drain Nut

Users who are viewing this thread

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I have a triple basin Elkay Cuisine Decor stainless steel sink which uses a thin zink nut to hold the cup assy (my terminology) and drain to each basin. The first nut failure was on the left (most used) basin. I have been unable to find nuts locally (Ace and Lowe's). I tried a 1.5" conduit lock nut but it didn't have enough threads and will jump a thread after a while apparently due to expansion with hot water in the basin. The nut can only be about 1/4" thick as the remote controlled drain has to thread onto the tailpiece below it. I tried making a nut by grinding the crown off a plastic slip joint nut but its hard to cinch it tight enough to compress the rubber gasket between the cup assy and the basin. A second nut (on the center basin) has now broken so I would like to replace all three. I don't see them online and if available postage would probably surpass the price of the nuts.

Any suggestions, or any nuts from another discipline that might work? Brass would be nice but I can't find
1.5" brass nuts either.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That type of drain typically has a "T" nut with a "sleeve" that goes through the drain's "bucket". The drain usually has a "rolled thread" which does not engage regular threads very well. The "sleeve" allows the nut to have additional threads without taking up space between the drain and the operator.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks